A-League Round 10 Discussion - the Summer of football

The fireworks going off in the background very much gave the game a very European feel.

It’s games like this that make me amazed that CCM still have 4,000 people who will turn up no matter what. Every single one of those people has witnessed an absolute shower of shit almost weekly for years now.

It’s always been pretty easy to put shit on CCM, but FWIW I think they are the benchmark for a smaller market, punched above their weight for years and have mostly done a fantastic job engaging with the local community. They just REALLY need to improve the football department again.

They went to shit as soon as they ditched Bolt. I reckon he left a witch curse on them

The only way it could have been worse would have been for there to be no football goal posts left and they had to put up the league posts and attach the net to the cross bar…

1 Like

It will be tough for them to do so. Clubs with fewer resources depend on luck to a large extent. A group of talented youngsters coming through together or a combination of players no-one else has discovered yet.

Thats this year, next season they will be unbeatable when they have the Bye!

1 Like

Mariners have become a basket case. Mulvey must be got rid of, his recruitment, tactics, selections and lack of ability to get an average bunch of players to at least play like an average football team has gone on long enough.

If the Club management do not move him on quick smart then the owner must wield the axe there as they must take responsibility.

At what point do people start to ask whether the owner himself is the cause of the problem? Okay, he ensured players were paid when he took over in 2013 but after that has overseen the club increasingly becoming less competitive until we’re to this point where they are starting to break all the wrong records on the field.

It has to be asked, what does he actually want to achieve with the club and how does he plan going about it? I’m not sure he has much of an idea. Remember how Charlesworth disrespected Graham Arnold despite him leading the club to its most successful period of its history. Remember how he wanted to move a lot of the Mariners games to the North Shore (to which the FFA said no). The club had a history of developing terrific young players of which we’re already aware. Now they don’t even hold onto kids like Buhagiar or Wales. What the fuck is going on? Sacking another coach is not going to fix things. The issues lie much deeper.

3 Likes

Spot on with the above. But none of the local fans are really challenging him in a useful/noisey, newsmaking way and no local news outlets care enough to dig into it on their own. Small town so don’t expect to win against the big boys and also couldn’t care less is the feeling I get from most local news outlets.

It would really be down to the fans and members to make a noise and demand some change, but they dont seem to want to, not publicaly anyway. In general conversation everyone knows the owner is the problem.

The Mariners have never had a great relationship with the local FA which has never helped. The local FA were the big fish in the little pond till the Mariners came along and put a lot of those noses out of joint in a big way just by being part of a national competition and therefore seen as the pinnacle of the game in the local area.

So the local FA doesn’t care and the fans aren’t noisey so the owner gets away with zero investment. He just uses the club to build his own investment/property portfolio. If he could sell the club/licence while detaching it from the local centre of excellence and hang on to that and somehow take over the running of the stadium he would. He has zero interest in the football club.

The main problem with Charlesworth is that since taking sole ownership, by settling the massive debt the Club had accumulated, he has only invested the minimum to keep the club operating. Although not really good enough, it was better than the club becoming insolvent and going the way of Nth Qld, Aukland and Gold Coast.
It appeared that he was unwilling to spend more than the minimum until the A-League became independent of the FFA. When this happened he appeared to loosen the purse strings and CCM signed Oar and McCormack.
What his plans are now is anyone’s guess. He is in Australia at the moment and can see what a wreck the Club has become. I suspect in the past he has kept everything at arms length and taken advice from various ex EPL pundits.
The appointment of Mulvey has been a total disaster in terms of recruitment of players, selection of teams and the ability to get the team playing something that resembles football.
He is in Australia for 7 weeks at the moment so I expect something to happen. Maybe the sale of the Club to a new owner, or maybe taking owning a football club seriously and wielding the axe and investing real money.
The scary thing is the possible sale of the licence to SouthMelbourne or Canberra. In the past the FFA stood in the way of this.
At the moment he holds all the cards and they are his to play.
Whatever, it has reached the stage where something must give.

Wests vs City coming up.
The home side are so pissweak, I’ve stopped wanting them to lose.

Does anyone know why this is at ANZ?

Yeah nah that still felt good.

Edit: and that one.

Happy New Year, Vedran.

If this doesn’t show the demise of WSW I don’t know what will. 2 goals in 3 minutes with lapses in concentration in the defence and they look out of the game.

Get down lower and quicker you RED bellied BLACK snake…its lovely to see sky blue shirts putting goals past him.

Booed off at half time…“best supporters” in the league!

The Brattan shit hair gene has reasserted it’s dominance

Are these carnts trying to bring the A-League down just to spite us? Abysmal.
At this rate, using the new Parra will very much be an option to us as an alternative ground cos these Muppets are going down.

And with good reason
Any idiot standing loyally by this shit is an idiot. Supporting your team when they keep shitting on you is not being a good supporter.