A-League Season Predictions - 2020/21

The Wizard as player/manager would be the best and most A-League thing ever

1 Like

Montgomery and Simon duo would be epic. Would love for us to be a team of c%#nts.

1 Like

Hmmmm. 1 game doesn’t make a season but they were very average last night. Freddo frog for you if they do the double.

Plain or Milky Top?

I was a bit off. Top six of only Sydney and Melbourne teams was a big lol.

And tipping Victory for 4th and the final :rofl:

That handsome guy knows what he’s talking about.

3 Likes

All looks no brains.

I thought Gestede might bang them in, with Rojas chipping in with a few. I also thought Brimmer and the English midfielders would give them a good spine.

Also, its Victory. 9 times out of 12th they’re in the hunt.

Butterfield was so bad. I was gonna make a huge call about him being one of their worst foreign signings and what an achievement that was in the same season as Shotton… but I just got out of a wikihole and my word they have had some absolutely dogshit foreigners over the years.

All good fun. I wasn’t close either!

Rojas and Gestede have been sooooooo far off where they should be on paper (in terms of pedigree). Its the best thing ever but a surprise.

1 Like

I always find its a bit of a case of ‘horses for courses’ with foreign players. There have been some that on paper should have done well (Misfud), and others who should have been complete garbage (Smeltz).

Wasn’t Rojas out injured for virtually the whole season, after first copping a kick in the mouth from that former Rangers hatchet man Dorrans at WSW? Hard to criticise his performance on that basis! Had Rojas not been injured, then maybe their attack would have had more verve and success. I thought Butterfield was goodish. Solid, worked hard and scored a few cracker goals. MV’s main problem seemed to be a very leaky defence (like at WSW). They only ever have had very few wonderful CBs like Delpierre and have depended on a series of very effective hatchet men DMs to clean up opposition attacks (Muscat, Broxham, Milligan, Valeri). That was not there this year and their attack, which always had been their strength was very inconsistent.
Interesting that the two British coaches, Brebner and Robinson, elected to fill their squads with British visa players many of whom had very good careers and reputations and were not that old (mostly) . These players almost all underperformed relative to reputation and expectation, as did their teams. At other clubs that used just one or two ex-British players (Alf, Ball, Noone), players and teams have done much better. Not sure if there is an explanation there but maybe you need to sprinkle your Brits with the odd Spaniard, Serb, Mexican, Israeli and good locals to get the best out of them.

I disagree about Butterfield’s work rate, that they never won a midfield battle all year was the main reason their defence was under so much pressure. He and Brimmer watch a lot of runners go by without tracking back too hard.

And I could swear Butterfield made more shots at goal this season than completed passes to his team-mates!

So, yes, I have too much time on my hands in lockdown and the work computer is on my kitchen table. Anyway, I have entered all the predictions for the 2020/21 season into a spreadsheet and calculated the winner for the year.

Rules for scoring. I have entered your prediction of each teams final position into a spreadsheet and calculated the difference from the actual position. So, if you predicted that City would be 1 on the table then you scored 0. If you predicted City would be 2 then you scored 1, and so on. The total difference for all 12 teams was added up and the person with the lowest score is the winner. For tied results I used the number of correct predictions as a tie breaker.

@eddie was the most accurate overall predictor. @HatchbackOwner and @CountArach had the most correct predictions (3 each).

Full calculations

9 Likes

Love it dude!! Great work. Im just gonna make a coffee and come up with a scoring methodology that gets me 1st (VAR).

1 Like

Love it!

Pretty happy with where I ended up there

Woah I don’t even remember posting predictions lol.

Great work. Victory and Wanderers doing so poorly definitely threw a lot of people - long may it continue. Pretty obvious city and ourselves would be a cut above.

Thanks for doing that up.

Where do I collect my millions?

That’s great but also a very humbling. Lucky I don’t have a gambling habit. And, I should have had more belief in Staj, for a start. That won’t happen again.

Thanks for doing this, Clovis. Can’t wait for the next one!