ACL MD 3 - Sydney FC vs Shanghai SIPG - 10/04/19

Hard to say how much this means, but interesting nonetheless

Shanghai’s woes in Australia

It’s fair to say that since their AFC Champions League debut in 2016, Shanghai SIPG’s home form has been the reason behind their runs to the latter stages of the tournament; indeed, in 15 matches in front of their own fans, they have yet to taste defeat.

In contrast, they have tended to struggle on the road and the 1-0 loss to Ulsan Hyundai on Matchday Two means they have lost 11 of their 16 away games since their tournament debut. With an away date at Sydney FC on Wednesday, they now need to reverse a miserable run in Australia.

In 2016, Shanghai lost their first-ever game in the competition 2-1 away at Melbourne Victory, before Western Sydney Wanderers and, again, Melbourne claimed wins in the 2017 and 2018 group stages to mean the Chinese side have lost three from three in Australia.

In fairness to Shanghai, the latter two losses proved inconsequential as qualification to the last 16 had already been secured, but Wednesday’s game is vital and defeat could leave them bottom of the Group H standings. Vitor Pereira’s side will consider themselves title contenders, but they will surely need to address away results, starting in Sydney.

(From here)

Your point about thinking big is right, I wonder if the best chance of points is by including youngsters to add some fresh legs.

1 Like

Trying to win all competitions by not flogging the same 11 to death is something all “big” clubs do… but if we’re not doing that (and we haven’t) then I think it’s fair to prioritise.
The sight of a clearly tired O’Neill losing Antonis (who’d only played half a season) in that game last season was a result of Arnie doing this same inflexible approach as Corica. Additionally, it’s made us shit at home in the ACL because more tactically savvy opponents can have prepared for us in detail before their season even started.

Corica and Zulo talk to the media ahead of tomorrow nights game: watch here

Game day. What predictions have we got?

I’m thinking 1-1.

I’m thinking nil-something. We didn’t score at home last ACL campaign and first match this campaign, so I’m the smart money I reckon.

Also Corica has signalled changes:

“We have got good depth in our squad with Siem and Danny [De Silva] coming back so everyone is fit,” Corica said. “There will be a couple of changes.”

It also sounds like we will be double marking Oscar all game.

I recon we’ll score - we seem a bit more dynamic than we were a few weeks ago, and having De Jong in the squad helps. Shanghai SIPG have also been leaking goals of late. Not confident we’ll win it though.

I’m going to go 2-1 Sydney.

Will be interesting to see if these guys actually play football unlike the diving sacks of shit across town.

3-1 home win,but i’d like a 2nil as well.

Redders to save a penalty.

I’d like to see Ivanovic start and get 60,Reza get plenty of minutes and get a brace.DeJong to come on and contribute.Da Silva to start.

Bench spots for Brosque and Sausage Roller.Maybe a change in central defence?

Can’t stand all this optimism. Going for a 3-0 defeat.

2 Likes

3-0 sounds like an arseblasting.

2 Likes

Why would you start Da Silva over DeJong?

Looks like the weather is going to be a max of 17 degrees and dropping throughout the game. That’s Lambert Park cold.

Nothing is as cold as Lambert Park.

1 Like

Because DEjong is precious,a good 25-35 minute session from him will probably yield a goal and/or an assist.I’d have Danny going flat chat for 60-65mins,then introduce the class of a seasoned international.

I’d drive DeJong like I stole him. We only have him for a short period of time I’m assuming. We need to get as much out of him as we can

Yep. We’d have a minimum of 5 goals scored against us with that partnership if SIPG really tried.

Really, though, every single game in our group so far have been very tight arm-wrestles. Nobody has scored more than one goal in any of the four games in our group so far. We need to adopt the same mentality as Kashima did against us last week. The last 30 minutes are really going to matter, so we need to make sure we have attacking weapons who can come on and make a difference. The last couple of league games for us should prove really instructive for Corica in the value of keeping quality on the bench if at all possible. To this end, maybe we won’t see De Jong start. Gucci will surely start but Brosque can still do a job for 20-25 minutes. Retre is a strong utility option off the bench for the moment.

I’ll go with holding them tightly for 60 or so before they take a 3-1 win