ALM - Round 24 Discussion - 2023/24

Someone having to read the rule book upstairs before making the call then?

BIN IT.

Not to mention after 4-5 minutes of VAR checks, they STILL got it wrong. I would say its unbelievable, but it really is now believable.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve no idea how they concluded he was on in the end. Nailed on the delay was because they couldn’t actually plot Maclaren on the available angle, so instead they just chucked one green line on and said that will do, we can’t prove he was off (despite common sense saying he’d have to be).

1 Like

He ran across the keeper and was pretty close. That should be enough to say he was impeding the keeper’s ability to see the ball and make a save. The commentators called it on the first replay.

That’s not a thing unless he’s actually offside though.

The assistant’s flag went up so he was ruled off. VAR then spent 5 minutes looking at it and somehow decided J-Mac was on and the goal should stand, despite there being no clear video evidence or angle shown proving he was on.

I think we agree though, the process remains broken beyond belief.

2 Likes

Woke up from a nap, laughed when i saw it at 7-0. In the time it took me to catch up on the goals, when i finally hit jump to live it was 8

Not just that, but they’ve actively made it worse. For off-sides they are now showing a single line as if that proves to the viewers anything at all.

I’m assuming this is a consequence of a cut in number of cameras used in the coverage. In response to that they’ve made it a black box to viewers rather than expose the limitation. The absolute most predictable thing happens that it just makes everyone more suspicious and doubtful of the process.

Absolute fucking shambles.

2 Likes

So basically two races left. Noting AU have a mid-week game in hand.

Race for premiership.

1. CCM 49pts 15W +18 GD - AU (9th H), NJ (10th A)
  2. WP 49pts 14W +13 GD - NJ (10th A), MAC (5th H)

Race for home finals and finals
3. MV 41pts 10W +11 GD - BR (8th H), WSW (6th H)
4. SFC 38pts 11W +6 GD - MAC (5th A), PG (8th H)
5. MAC 38pts 10W -1 GD - SFC (4th H), WP (2nd A)
6. WSW 34pts 10W -4 GD - MC (7th H), MV (3rd A)
7. MC - 33pts 9W +10 GD - WSW (6th A), WU (11th H)
9. AU - 28pts 8W 0 GD - WU (11th A), CCM (1st A), BR (8th A)

MV, SFC and MAC are guaranteed qualification as a result of MC playing WSW next week (loser/draw one team will be a max of 37pts)

For a similar reasons, BR is basically out of it as 6th will be a minimum 35pts, and BR have an atrocious GD and 29pts.

Edit. Wins added

1 Like

^^^ remember that this season number of wins is the tie-breaker before GD applies though.

3 Likes

It’s a very spicy last two rounds. Almost everyone is playing someone who can make a huge impact on the final outcome - Jets are playing well and will play both CCM and the Nux.

WSW have to play both MC and MV - both of which are a decent chance to roll them, knocking them out of finals contention.

City are the jammiest cunts and have the easiest run in - WU are terrible and WSW are fragile. I would absolutely hate for them to sneak into 6th while we get 3rd. That is a very dangerous elimination final for us.

If Macarthur lose both games, they can still make the final, but will rely on WSW beating City (assuming the WU game is a guaranteed win for City).

If Macarthur beat us, and we bottle it against Perth, combined with WSW winning both games we could end up in 6th.

Fun fun fun.

1 Like

Interestingly enough, if we win the next game and Victory lose, we’ll be coming 3rd

1 Like

Would be huge, but we haven’t won 2 games in a row for a while…

Especially considering Jamie Young will no doubt have his usual world-beating performance only against us.

2 Likes

Perth are fucking shit. If we were a league with P&R they’d be playing with Floreat Athena or something like that where they belong.

2 Likes

Perth were pretty much screwed from the moment Sage had to leave Perth. Now they’ve got new ownership over there, they can actually plan on having a competitive squad for next season. Stajcic is no mug. He’s done a reasonable amount with not very much over there.

So I think that was actually the biggest losing margin in the A-League.

It’s the second time that City have hit 8 goals this season (having also beaten Brisbane 8-1, and the third time they’ve scored more than 7 goals.

Despite that, they’re only a +10 GD, with 47F 37A

I meant to watch Staj’s presser, thanks for the reminder. You’d think a bunch of those Perth players were playing for contracts but it sure as shit didn’t look like it, I’ve never seen a professional side play with so little pride and just visibly give up and stop even trying like that. They were absolutely pathetic, the players should deadset be refunding those who travelled in pretty decent numbers.

Despite how diabolical they’ve been, Taggart has still managed 15ish goals and third in the golden boot chart. Imagining if he was in a good team.

Did you ever hear the lamentable tale of Paul Henderson, Northern Spirit, and his two good games a year?

Against Olympic … sign …

I had a $20 Bonus Bet to win $400 at the beginning for the season for him to take it out.

Think I’ll Cash Out after this round is finished given how poor they were yesterday.