ALM Squad Speculation Thread 2023/24

I hate to circle back to the fan rep discussion thing, but …

Is there seafood platters?

https://twitter.com/scout_aussie/status/1665205638924738562

If there’s a problem leading our academy players to jump ship, it starts long before Bimbi. Triantis never even got a look in at NPL level before jumping to the wanderers AFAIK.

Bimbi specifically said he’ll be looking to the youth to step up next season after our Semi loss yeah?

Dunno. Is anyone still listening to him?

2 Likes

Looks like we will be using him to replace Triantis. keen to hear what people here who may have watched him think.
Also it seems Dan hall is definitely leaving destination unknown. Could be a good pick up for someone. Sorry to see him go. Good head and lots of potential Hopefully a change of scenery gets him back on track. I wish him well.

I’ve seen a fair bit of him over the last 12 months, good young player but probably still a bit raw and I would say not ready to immediately replace Nectar.

FYI he played all of our 2022 NPL season in the U20’s, approx. half of that from the bench, and towards the end of the season he was playing LB as we had a starting CB combo of Hayden Mathews and Dejan Bakrdanikoski. I recall in the U20 GF vs Mount Druitt he was the only player on the team sheet not to have made an appearance for our NPL first grade mens during 2022 (that 20’s side was stacked).

Our NPL first grade side also finished 2022 playing a back 3/5, so I was keeping an eye out for him this year as I’d expected him to be “next in line” amongst our LB prospects. Was surprised to see him starting at CB next to Gurd on opening day, and also noted he appeared to have bulked up substantially over the off season. He is a unit.

So yeah, very very good prospect. He’s big, strong, mobile, reads the game well, beast in the air, and has stepped up against some experienced ex-HAL strikers. But on the other hand he’s also really only been a starting NPL CB for 4 months now. You don’t want them to stagnate, but it’d also be a mighty big ask to expect him to step straight in next to Kaltak in just another 4 months.

1 Like

Thanks, maybe he is being brought in for the future. He sounds a prospect. Monty has proved to be a pretty good judge so far. I look forward to watching him in the NPL for the rest of this season and then seeing how he progresses.

Wouldn’t that have been the opinion of Triantis when he signed as well?

1 Like

It sounds like Triantis came with more youth experience.

Never saw Triantis at youth level but would have to assume so. :wink:

Is he better or worse than Donachie?

Is he better or worse than Gurd?

Can’t objectively compare to Donachie as they’ve never played at the same level or against the same calibre of opponent.

He doesn’t look out of place at all next to Gurd, though I thought the same with Grimaldi last season. Paull is probably more dominant in the air due to size and also a lefty which gives him some extra value (I’ve never worked out which side Gurd actually prefers, lol).

But again, 9-10 months ago he was behind both Mathews and Bakrdanikoski in the 20’s, who were both given first grade minutes alongside Gurd before him. He’s definitely ahead of them now though, and has certainly grasped the NPL opportunity and done really well this season.

4 Likes

Hazard just became a free agent.

1 Like

Charles Lokolingoy’s agent stated that Zane Schreiber is off to City.

OK then. If JGR is now full-time first team and both Oscar and Zane are off then we’re starting to get thin. :sweat:

He’s also a former premier league striker.

So was Charlie Austin.

The next question is, who is able to step up from U20s?

Haven’t seen the 20’s this year myself and things are pretty fluid down there with players bouncing around between age groups, often backing up on other benches on the same day.

The only snippet I’ve got is that Paul Reid seems to rate Lachlan Middleton as overheard him saying the 20’s lost the middle of the park after he went off. There’s also Oscar Fryer who seems to have been doing well with both the 18’s and 20’s and just made his NPL debut, he came on for Scarcella but definitely played higher up (I think at 10, as Sega had pushed into the forward line during other subs).

Well yeah, it’s in the name.

Was really hoping this would be something about hot chips.

7 Likes