Anthony Caceres wins Alex Tobin Medal

CACERES TOPS ALEX TOBIN AWARD STANDINGS

Sydney FC’s Anthony Caceres has finished joint top of the Alex Tobin Medal standings after a fantastic personal season in which the attacking midfielder notched five goals and five assists.

The Sky Blues star ended the Isuzu-Ute A-League 2021-22 season on 21 points alongside Melbourne City’s Connor Metcalfe, who was awarded the medal on a count back having accrued three Player of the Match performances, compared to Caceres’ two.

However the 29-year old Caceres was still delighted with the recognition.

“It’s very pleasing despite a challenging year to be up there at the top of the points tally. It’s a good achievement,” he said.

“I thought I performed quite well this year, but I feel that I have more to give in the seasons to come.

“Overall, I’m quite pleased knowing that I topped the points system along with Connor [Metcalf].”

As always the points are awarded on a game by game 3-2-1 basis by a panel of ex-players and journalists.

The medal is awarded by the Isuzu-Ute A-League’s host broadcaster Paramount+ and numbers are added up over the course of the season.

“I knew I had started well but as the year went on, I just got distracted with all the games we were playing and to be honest I completely forgot about it,” continued Caceres.

“Towards the end my old man caught on that I was in with a chance and it was a nice surprise to find myself at the top.”

Caceres finished ahead of Daniel Penha from Newcastle Jets, Jay O’Shea from Brisbane Roar and Adelaide United’s Craig Goodwin who all accrued 20 points.

Melbourne City’s Florin Berenguer (19 points), Victory’s Marco Rojas (18), Kye Rowles from Central Coast Mariners (18) and Reno Piscopo from the Phoenix (18) made up the rest of the leaderboard.

“Individually it’s probably my best achievement so far,” said Caceres. “It’s an award that merits consistency and that’s something I’ve always aimed to achieve.

“To do it in a difficult season is quite pleasing despite being disappointed in our overall position.

“Connor got 21 points because he deserved it, it’s great to share with a player who has proven himself in the league and has a very bright future ahead of him.

“I feel I still have more to give. I think I’ve assumed more responsibility this year with some key moments in front of goal and I will look to continue to improve in that area.

“I still think my best football is ahead of me.”

Caceres is one of six players from Sydney FC on a shortlist to be included in the A-League All-Stars to take on Barcelona later this month.

Caceres Tops Alex Tobin Award Standings - Sydney FC

5 Likes

Good on him.

His best season yet.

better check reddit.

They’re probably on the sook!

Congrats to him, although in all honesty I am a little surprised. He was consistently one of our better players on the park though so that consistency would have paid off.

1 Like

Oh yeeeeeeeesss Papi. :blue_heart:

Tops standings. Comes second. #rigged

But srsly, congrats Papi. Brilliant season.

1 Like

Congratulations to Anthony for a strong season. Getting the credit for upping his goal and assist count this season and delivering more consistently. Hoping for a continuation of it next season.

2 Likes

Stop The Steal!!!