Australian Football Abroad Thread

And so it begins…

Pretty much did it as soon as I got a stream up on the bus to work. Slipped and twisted his knee pretty badly. Couldn’t stand even with the help of the trainer and got stretchered off. Apparently was up and walking around by the end of the game though so hopefully nothing serious.

Might be worth leaving him at home for the South Korea/Lebanon games.

Tom smithies reporting ACL. Poor kid.

Fucks sake thats horrible. Seems like he impressed in those 20 minutes too.

Huge blow for him huge blow for the Socceroos

Fucking hell, that sucks so badly for him.

Horrible injury for a player of his type to do as well.

Well that’s the shittest news ever.
Looking through Celtics twitter match report it sounds like he was having a great debut too.

Reports now saying it could be downgraded to a less serious meniscus or ligament damage with around 8 weeks out. Still not ideal for the kid. Would mean essentially no football until the Asian Cup.

Arzani will be another stupid kid who went off to Europe way too early and will never fulfil their potential as a result. The injury is crap for him but I’m not at all surprised to be honest.

FoxSports saying Matt Ryan is top of United’s shortlist to replace De Gea

The original source for that article is The Sun, so I’ll remain skeptical for now. That being said it would be an interesting move. Ryan’s still got 3.5years on his contract and given his performance so far this season i doubt they’d let him go without massive compensation.

This injury could (and is probably more likely to) happen here in Aus. And he was actually out on the pitch

Post reeks of total ‘SEE SEE I TOLD YA’ utter wankiness

1 Like

Such bad rub of fortune for Arzani, hopefully he gets the good rub on the other side of his rehab. He is a massive talent.

The point I was making was that young Australian players have a tendency to go off to Europe after one half-decent season in the A-league and then get injured/don’t get much game time and never reach their potential e.g. Targgart, Antonis, Ibini etc. This isn’t just me being like “See I told you so”, this seems to be a trend among young Australian players who leave the A-league for Europe.

And in my opinion it was a poor decision by Arzani to leave so early. You would think young Australian players would have learnt better by now. They would be much better off staying in Australia for a season or so longer, developing themselves so that they are actually ready when they get the move overseas. Perhaps they are given poor advice by their agents who are hungry for the $$$ but they should know better. And I was ridiculing Arzani’s apparent naivety for making this same mistake.

Also nobody likes people who talk big on the internet. Going round calling people wankers on an online forum makes you look like the wanker.

Mitchell Duke was an unused sub for Shimizu S-Pulse in their 0-0 draw with Shonan Bellmare.

Mitch Langerak played the full 90 minutes for Nagoya Grampus but saw Podolski score twice as Vissel Kobe beat them 2-1.

Andrew Nabbout came on as a 70th minute sub for Urawa Reds but they were already 3-1 down at that point and that’s the way the scoreline stayed.

Also maybe of interest, Besart Berisha has made a total of 6 substitute appearances for Sanfrecce Hiroshima, a total of 72 minutes of football this season.

Berisha is definitely going to come back to the A-League in the summer.

If he does WSW would be a good fit.

Adelaide also need a striker.

Weren’t Sanfrecce miles in front when he arrived? Their form of late has sucked and Kawasaki Frontale have practically wrapped it up.

It’s been pretty grim each week seeing the losses pile up. Hiroshima Carp lost the Japan Series again (still waiting for the first Japan Series win since 1984), so it’s a real case of so near yet so far for me all around in sports this year.