Australian Football Abroad Thread

I would like to see the days of players leaving to join overseas clubs for a $200k be ended. If you want the players, pay properly for them.

1 Like

But when most of these players are on ok-ish 1 or 2 year deals you don’t need to pay big money for them.

Taggart actually broke his duck for the season

And Antonis on for the second half.

Jackson Irvine has just left Hull City

Surely he’s got to go to a bigger Championship club. From all accounts he’s been really good for Hull.

1 Like

He’s captained them on occasion I believe.

“Current” Vice-Captain

Edit:
Looks like it was almost mutual. Hull has come out saying they were looking to only keep players that were 100% committed to staying at the club. It was based on the short term contract extensions most clubs are doing to see out the rest of the season. He’s probably been in negotiation with other clubs seeing as they’re battling relegation.

Ellie Carpenter has signed for Lyon. Huge move for her.

2 Likes

Having our best players playing for Europe’s biggest clubs will be excellent for the Matildas, I think, but will mean the WWL really becomes more of a development league, albeit with the incentive of year-round income and football for those who go the WWL-WSL option.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a development league, so long as the correct structures are in place to keep churning out talented players.

Just reading about them now, looks like their literally in the top 3 of the greatest female teams and statistically one of the greatest teams in any sports. Huge move from her!

She’ll have some huge competition from Lucy Bronze for right back

It’s without doubt the biggest move in Australian football for some time. Huge credit to Ellie and everyone involved in her development as a player for her the move. Really hope she becomes a success there

Both Stoke & Huddersfield are in for our Martin Boyle apparently, at 1m pound transfer fee.

I remember when our national team players were linked to teams in the top half of top European leagues.

This getting linked to teams in the bottom half of second divisions is quite the comedown.

1 Like

Jason Geria started and played 71 minutes for JEF United Chiba in J2.

In K League, Rashid Mahazi played the full 90 for Incheon United. Brandon O’Neill played the full 90 for Pohang Steelers. Adam Taggart started for Suwon Bluewings and played 65 minutes. Terry Antonis came on for Suwon as a 60th minute sub.

1 Like

Talk Arzani will be loaned to an unnamed Dutch club- likely to be NAC Breda, who just got relegated.

Good move, he needs a year of consistent game time and that should be a decent level to develop his technique and get up to speed.

2nd division Holland > HAL? Hardly the saviour of the NT if this is where he’s going.

“He had been linked with second-tier NAC Breda - a club that has an agreement in place with Manchester City to help develop their young players, but it appears Arzani will be heading to the Dutch top flight instead.”