Australian National Team Thread - #ArnieOut!

Just saying; a better man would boycott if Poland get through…

I know but if Poland gets through, it’s due to the Russian invasion, which sort of feels like a waste boycott on that end, plus knowing Poland, if I boycott, they’ll probably smash it for the first time ever…

1 Like

As long as they pick Adrian this time. Madness that they did not last time. They were so cumbersome in MF.

They’ve gone for a fairly old team for their friendlies. Glik, Grosicki, Krychowiak called up

Socceroos squad I think is pretty good, all things considered

Socceroos squad: Nathaniel Atkinson (Hearts, Scotland), Aziz Behich (Giresunspor, Turkey), Martin Boyle (Al-Faisaly, Saudi Arabia), Nick D’Agostino (Melbourne Victory), Milos Degenek (Columbus Crew, USA), Mitchell Duke (Fagiano Okayama, Japan), Bruno Fornaroli (Perth Glory), Denis Genreau (Toulouse, France), Craig Goodwin (Adelaide United), Rhyan Grant (Sydney FC), Ajdin Hrustic (Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany), Jackson Irvine (St. Pauli, Germany), James Jeggo (KAS Eupen), Fran Karacic (Brescia, Italy), Joel King (Odense Boldklub, Denmark), Mathew Leckie (Melbourne City), Awer Mabil (Kasimpasa SK, Turkey), Jamie Maclaren (Melbourne City), Connor Metcalfe, Andrew Redmayne (Sydney FC), Tom Rogic (Celtic, Scotland), Kye Rowles (Central Coast Mariners), Mat Ryan (Real Sociedad, Spain), Trent Sainsbury (KV Kortrijk, Belgium), Gianni Stemsness (Viking FK, Denmark), Marco Tilio (Melbourne City), Danny Vukovic (NEC Nijmegen, Netherlands),

Good to see Joel King gets another chance.

Another opportunity for Heward Belle to show his grade goals for us. I thought he did pretty well in the 2-3 games he replaced Redmayne with.

Good to see Genreau in there. He’s getting a lot of minutes over the last couple of months and Toulouse are to of Ligue 2.

1 Like

Also good to see Danny V is still playing in Europe. I thought he might have left it to late in his career to get over there but looks like he is having a great adventure

Kenny Dougall has played 32 times in the Championship this year. Gets dropped.

So much for players being encouraged to go play regularly at a high level.

5 Likes

Fark when you look at that squad, you understand why Arnold has had to think outside the box. So who starts?

Ryan, Sainsbury, Degenek and Rogic pick themselves. Is Mabil ready to start? Martin Boyle and Jamie Maclaren are selected, but I thought wouldn’t play…

Is it:

-------------------Ryan
Karacic—Sainsbury—Degenek—Behich

------------Hrustic----Irvine---------------

Mabil-------------Rogic-------------Leckie

-----------------Fornaroli?

Does anyone have a PAX update for the game? I think a 30k crowd would be a passable outcome though will feel empty within the cavernous ANZ Stadium

What’s the deal with mooy? Off season?

Came down with Covid

1 Like

Mooy being out in the best thing for us. Arnie isn’t forced to shoehorn him in because of past recognition and not what he can currently offer us (fuck all really)

2 Likes

Vukovic has played 4 cup games for NEC only.

1 Like

Maybe Goodwin or Tillio for Leckie - who has been injured, and Atkinson for Behich? And happy for Rogic to start on the bench. WE can’t afford a lazybones midfielder against an all-action, swift and mobile Japan. Move Hrustic up to 10 and Genreau to 6 or Metcalf to 8.

Atkinson plays on the right…

And Behich has been playing well in Turkey.

1 Like

Yeh, i mean it doesnt matter much but these 2 in the squad is a joke. Thomas and Maynard Brewer should be there.

Apparently Gauci has been picked to train with the squad which is cool, he’s great for a young keeper