Australian National Team Thread - #ArnieOut!

Issue with playing for the draw is it invites massive pressure, unless we plan to tiki taka the ball around in Denmark’s half for 90 minutes. Not sure we’re anywhere near that good.

We definitely need to play for the win.

The next big question we have - how the hell am I going to get to bed before 6pm so I can function as a human on Thursday.

2 Likes

If we win, just keep apologising profusely for being non-functional with a huge grin.

If we lose, chuck a sickie.

1 Like

Work Christmas party that evening. So in theory, I just have to fake it till 4pm.

Chuck one anyway, win or lose.

1 Like

25 years to the day of the unmentionable. Can’t believe it has not been mentioned in the media.

1 Like

I flew halfway across the world to come back to watch that match at that cavernous shithole. I cried, and not in a good way. And if Peter Hoare dies I’m interrupting his funeral to do a dump on his tombstone. Still bitter.

6 Likes

I remember being in a pub in Richmond drinking. Can’t remember anything after that.

3 Likes

Why the hell did you have to bring THAT up?

3 Likes

How’d you get Mick Molloy in your gang?

1 Like

And a young Eric Bana

1 Like

Oh fuck.

So he is!

Actually, the person’s whose 21st I was at that night just had another birthday so that makes sense!

2 Likes

Not sure about the rest of you but I find the whole “we’re underdogs it’s the Australian way” narrative pretty irritating. Other than a hand-full of games each quadrennial cycle we’re not underdogs. Yes in those games we are the underdog but as a general theme in Australian football & sport it’s utter rubbish. Though I guess I shouldn’t be surprised if professional footballers can be so easily manipulated into thinking so.

2 Likes

We are underdogs because it takes some of the sting out of losing.

We’re definitely underdogs at World Cup Finals.

I think you’re overstating it outside of that.

We don’t go into games against Vietnam or Oman saying we’re underdogs and out to prove everyone wrong. If anything we seem to take our opponents too lightly…

2 Likes

We are Cumdogs!

3 Likes

Arnold also tried to play for a draw in our last group game at the Olympics. Fair to say it ended disastrously and the 2-0 defeat probably flattered us.

I would agree but that’s not the narrative that’s been doing the rounds (from the players and media) over the last few days. It’s been we’re a small game in a country full of other sports and no-one in football respects us we’re always underdogs.

Wheres the lie?

I’m not going to bother with that dude. Seriously.