Australian National Team Thread - #ArnieOut!

Not being able to break down a team that parks the bus is a problem for teams around the world though. If there was a simple solution it wouldn’t be a legitimate tactic.

1 Like

It is, but the real problem is we have exactly ZERO players in the squad capable of nailing that killer ball, and that’s what is going to help break a team defending deep.

Man, Facebook is cancer right now. Yes, let’s give Arnie the flick after one competitive match. How he couldn’t have driven the team to put more goals part Oman, I’ll never know.

as I posted 9 days ago:
Given how hot and cold Rogic is and how often he gets picked apart by even weaker sides (see vs Thailand), I would let him fulfill his overly limited career aspirations of the old firm derby. Happy to have Amini, Petratos or Luongo take the no. 10 spot. At least all of them run all game, tackle and think of the pass as well as the trick.

Having Rogic and Kruse there is like the old days when SFC used to regularly carry two bone-idle players every match.
Kruse has scored 5 goals in 70 Socceroo games. Brosque scored 5 in 21. Know who I would take.

We also could really have done Jurić’s size and hold up play in/around the box today, if most of our balls into the box were going to be crosses and hopeful long balls. Really not sure how Apostolos Giannou gets picked over the guy whose 5 goals in the WCQ group stage got us to this tournament in the first place.

1 Like

Thoroughly disappointing all round. Not unexpected once they scored, but thoroughly disappointing non the less.

I like your optimism that we’ll beat anyone.

MacLaren was a void again. Which you can forgive if he delivers for that one moment, but he didn’t.

Yeah, that’s fair. But I guess when you see it in Euro leagues it’s far less successful as a tactic than when Yemen or whoever do it against us. We pretty much always need to score first in these types of games or else we just play right into their hands.

And not just the “football”, I was thinking about the number of times we make dumbarse challenges inviting them to go down, milk freekicks, exaggerate contact etc. There was that needless foul Ikon gave away when tracking back and all I could do was facepalm, playing into their hands like that means we can’t ever build the pressure to crack them on footballing terms. We have to know by now to expect that shit.

Fair Play to Jordan who were no way near as time-wastey as I expected. We saw much worse in the ACL last season.

There was a fair bit of “cramp” (like they don’t play in those conditions EVERY week), but you’re right, anyone looks good compared to Shanghai.

I didn’t think anyone was really up for this Asian Cup, but peeps really were laying low waiting for Arnold to slip, huh?..

Kruse, seriously. I mean, what can we do. You know he will continue to start games and get subbed off at the 55" mark.

Also, Maclaren over Juric is baffling if we are going to be pinging in crosses. Maclaren makes sense if we’re playing on the counter, but against teams parking the bus, he’s another wasted jersey.

GA last seen in Liverpool UK, negotiating 11 citizenships!

Kruse is the Shaun Marsh of Aussie football

3 Likes

Does he have a brother as well?

At least the majority of the Australian public will be largely unaware of last nights’ failure thanks to our cricket team. There’s not a mention of the result on the Fox Sports website unless you scroll past a dozen other articles…

Reports of Rogic playing with a broken hand against Jordan

LOL we’re apparently down to 16 fit players. What a mess.

Yeah Risdon and Nabbout both maybes for the next game:

Maclaren really needs to step up. Big opportunity for Rhyan as well.