Brandon O’Neill Thread

FINALLY. So thrilled for him.

Makes sense. If it’s to be a mostly domestically based squad, there’s no way he shouldn’t be in it, and probably starting.

Delighted. Poor bloke made a quick video for my son after the game at point after i repeatedly told i loved him and just wanted him to happy (if that meant going overseas). Great guy and will step up no problems in the NT.

If he goes we riot.

1 Like

That’s bad news about his old man. Hope Brandon does well for him.
I wonder/hope the K League will be picked up out here

Its a pretty easy league to catch streaming wise and lots of extended highlights get put up on youtube as well

Sad to read the news about his father. They clearly seem genuinely very close if you follow him on Insta.

Look forward to seeing how he gets along in the K-League. While I think it’ll be tough to excel in the position he plays in, I’m sure he’ll step up and prove himself. He has a modesty and a terrific work ethic, so whatever growth or improvement it takes for him to make it, he’ll put in.

He’s definitely one of those I’d most want to see back at the club one day. Can be our 2nd Brosque and captain this club.

1 Like

Bearded Branners but still with his shirt tucked in :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Branners just posted his a-league winners medal from the club with a really nice note. Great gesture from the club, especially with what he is going through right now.

1 Like

He may have moved back to Perth. But he’s still a Sky Blue Legend. Cool as a cucumber from the penalty spot.

https://www.facebook.com/aleague/videos/177742261120928

1 Like

Gets even better: He's back! Brandon O'Neill I Perth Glory Player Interview - YouTube Says wonderful things about SFC as a club.

1 Like

His accent still confuses me

That has got to be one of the most in-depth player interviews i’ve seen a club do. That was actually excellent.

Would love to see a nice long club interview of some Sydney players, past, present. I know last lockdown they did a lot of former players via Skype which was good.

Perhaps the club could contract @Sky_Blue_Stories to do a few face-to-face video interviews with the lads? That’d be cool.

3 Likes

He deals with this confusion here: Brandon O'Neill explains the origin of his accent | Socceroos Podcast - YouTube

It explains why he has a strange accent but NOT why it is THAT accent (which does not sound Irish at all - or Yorkshire). Someone with a better sense of regional accents in England than me may be able to help here.

I am English and it always has me stumped… he seems to travel around about six parts of England in the space of a sentence!

" It’s not Irish, It’s not English, It’s just, well, you know, It’s just, pikey."

2 Likes

He’s from Perth, Perth is a weird hilarious place, that’s the explanation

3 Likes

This is 100% the correct answer.

I’d like to think he has a normal Australian accent, but put this one on to try and impress his now wife by looking like a bigshot UK footballer, when he first met her. What he came up with is this mishmash attempt. She no doubt found it odd but didn’t pursue it further, and he’s now terrified to revert to normal. It exhausts the poor feller trying to keep it going for years now.

4 Likes