Brisbane Roar Thread

I think that’s the main part. Apparently his wife has missed living in Australia ever since they went back. And as you said, he knows the league. I’m just not sure whether he’d be capable of stepping into a head coaching role with so little experience.

Interesting Fowler on Soccer AM had said that he had applied for a bunch of lower league jobs and had no responses… makes you wonder right.

How does he ‘know’ the league, he played a couple of seasons 8/9 years ago, the league has evolved considerably since then.

Perhaps in that he’s aware that it’s not the South Coast Mariners?

1 Like

In terms of the unique challenges like geographic diversity and salary cap. He’ll be relieved that the Bunnings chairs have since been upgraded though.

I mean Mariners and Brisbane are still the same…

You hear plenty of anecdotal evidence of people in the UK (including players) who watch the league because of the time it’s on. Given Fowler’s played here (and not just for one season/club but actually came back for more at another club) it’s reasonable to assume he’s kept in touch.
That obviously doesn’t mean he has any abilities as a coach, but I think he’s got a decent claim of understanding the league’s idiosyncrasies pretty well before starting.

Won’t do a Babbel and whinge that there’s a cap and local squaddies are crap?

Oh he’ll do that. You know coaches - when things go bad, they always find someone else to blame, whether it rational to do so or not.

Fowler to be announced tommorow, I can’t see anyway this isn’t a terrible appointment

1 Like

He brings kit, balls, posts?

Fowler is a very wealthy man (from outside as well from football). Certainly not doing it for the paycheck. If he could stomach playing in Townsville and Perth in summer, he also understands some of the stresses involved in the HAL.

The Red Renters in Liverpool had the beatles Yellow Submarine chant.

“We all live in a Robbie Fowler house”

He bought up big…$ makes $$$$

1 Like

I’ve no idea what you’re saying

At Liverpool home games,there was a chant to the tune of Yellow Submarine.

WE ALL LIVE IN A ROBBIE FOWLER HOUSE,it goes on.

The $$$$ he earnt from football went into realestate during his playing career.

1 Like

For Roars sake you hope Fowler turns into a good appointment but its a huge risk when they should probably be playing it safer with someone with good managerial experience. Carl Robinson, with 200 games coached in the MLS seemed a better move.
Remember reading Fowler was pretty close to landing the Perth gig.

1 Like

I think Tony P played a big role in ensuring that didn’t happen.

I think it could be ok. Good for publicity as well. Plus he actually wants to be here which is a good start.

His mate Stevie G is doing alright at Rangers with the same sort of experience

Don’t think their CV’s are at all comparable before landing their first top job. Gerrard was in charge of LFC 18’s / 19’s, Fowler had a stint as player / manager in the Thai league 7 years ago.

Sacked by Xmas.

Our clubs are too weak to sack marquee coaches. I predict ‘given the green light for an overhaul of the playing squad in the January transfer window’ by Christmas, and sacked in March.

1 Like