Cycling Thread - Pan y agua

Paramatta Valley Cicleway is a good one. You can start off in Parra, go all the way to Rhodes on the North side of the river, cross onto the South at Rhodes, go through on the South until Silverwater, cross north and go back to Parra.

1 Like

It was fantastic, wasn’t it. Such a great race every year. Unbelievable ride from Van Der Poel. I really wish they would televise from kilometre zero like Paris-Roubaix, though. It really lends itself to that sort of coverage.

Mark Cavendish picked up his first win in over 2 years at the Tour of Turkey overnight. He’s now only 3 wins off 150 career wins and given his form and Deceuninck’s ability to have their riders in the right position at the right time I think he might get there by the end of the year.

Well that didn’t take long. Cav just bought up stage win #4 at the Tour of Turkey and that’s now 150 career wins.
There wasn’t much competition there but he still had to beat guys like Jasper Philipsen, Andre Greipel and Kristoffer Halvorsen so it’s probably enough to get him one more GT and a trip to Tokyo.

This is amazing tech.

As someone who shattered his wrist and will never be able to use it properly again due to a chain malfunction on my bike, I 100% support this

When you watch a chain in slo mo its so loose and looks (sciencey term) really inefficient. Im also a bad cross chainer and struggle to change down at the right time so am basically the Archie Thompson of chain treatment. This looks like a good solution. I’d like an enclosure on it to keep grit and rain out, probably also a marginal front facing aero gain to be had too.

I wonder how heavy it is compared to a traditional setup.
While it’s always good to be ambitious I don’t think they’ll make their target of it appearing in the pro peloton next season. It’s definitely the future though.
While it would be far too expensive at the moment, as Paulska has alluded to, it will make recreational cycling a whole lot safer in the future with no chain fouling or dropping of the chain.

They nailed the weight weenies by making the drive shaft equivalent out of carbon fibre. The argument would be you get a few more watts in power out if the nore efficient mechanism even if it has a few extra grams that hurt on the climb. I’ll report back in 5 years when they’re ‘only’ selling for $2k…

I’m OS and have Eurosport anyway, but SBS getting the Giro rights back is great news. Looking forward to it.

Crazy finish in the Tour de Romandie just then.
Absolutely horrendous conditions for the stage so only fitting they played a part at the end.

Fantastic Giro stage overnight. That smiling hurt face on Van der Horn for the last 10 km, then the shock at the finish line and the swearing in the interviews. Just great.

Cav equals Eddy Merckx with 34 TdF stage wins.
He can possibly take the record tomorrow otherwise stage 19 or on the Champs-Élysées should see him get the job done.
What an unbelievable season he’s having.

I’ve not followed his form over the last few years but crazy to think he hasn’t been picked and I think was only a late replacement this year? Obviously if Caleb didn’t fall it might be different, but nobody looks like beating him in a sprint at the moment.

The Deceuninck sprint train makes a massive difference.
You have Alaphilippe burning himself out pulling the peloton 10k from home. You wouldn’t see that at any other team and Morkov is the best lead out man since Mark Renshaw.
If Cav was at any other team he wouldn’t be having the resurgence he is having this season.

Yeah last night in particular was a great example. They get to the front a little too early so Morkov lets Ballerini’s wheel go, forces Cortina to close the gap, then follows and drops off Cav at the perfect spot - 'twas beautiful to watch.

Before the Tour of Turkey this year his last win at any level was the 2018 Dubai Tour, last grand Tour win was 2016 Tour De France. It’s an extraordinary comeback. Agree it would have been great to see him duking it out with Caleb, Quickstep vs Lotto trains etc. but you can’t take anything away from him. Can only beat the riders in front of him at the biggest race in the world.

Yeah, didn’t mean to downplay the input of the team. It’ just a great comeback story.

Is this not the way Paris-Roubaix should be?

Looks like SBS are determined to torch everything which has defined its sport department since it was created. Football was first depleted then deleted, now they’ve apparently let Mike Tomalaris go, probably the final hold out from SBS Sport’s early/relevant years. Exactly what happened isn’t 100% clear but given he tweeted it’s not how he expected to leave, I assume it’s a decision by the network.

Presumably part of merging it into the ABC, then it can all be Ozzie Rules, NRL, Rugger and Cricket just like the 50s.