General A-Leagues Men Discussion Thread

Word on Twitter that City are trying to get to Sydney by tomorrow, but moving all three teams (incl support staff etc) here in a day sounds unlikely.

Apparently no one from Melbourne will be able to cross the border in the next 24 hours. No way they can get here until the permit system becomes available.

I can’t remember his exact words but Ross Noble summed it up perfectly. He said Australia’s covid response was like the Spice Girls. Everyone is trying really hard but Victoria always let’s the rest down

5 Likes

So they have until 11:59pm on Tuesday to load three teams onto three buses and drive somewhere north of Wodonga.

Its just about getting to the point where we should just declare the season as over and have finishing positions based on a points average. The only position that would change is that Welly finish second and City finish third.

It also means we don’t have to let Melbourne Victory into our state and the Wanderers miss out on the finals as well.

5 Likes

Part of me hopes this is true and that it gets made into a movie:

https://twitter.com/SocStoppageTime/status/1280110162645114881?s=19

I’m just surprised it’s not the NRL that’s stopping our season restarting.

1 Like

So the Melbourne teams couldn’t get across the border and apparently only got back to Melbourne at 1am:

https://twitter.com/Michael_Zappone/status/1280261972919906305?s=19

Crazy situation last night trying to get @MelbourneCity @gomvfc and @wufcofficial players over the border. Back home in Melbourne at 1am… what next?

Surely there’s a chance this is it for the resumption of the competition

doesnt it close midnight tonight, or am i totally missing something ?

It’s midnight for Victoria but it was midnight last night for Melbourne.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/ffa-seek-exemptions-victorian-hyundai-a-league-clubs-enter-nsw

I can’t see the exemption being denied. It’s clear that they made every attempt to leave but where unable to. The NSW government are not going to force the teams to stay in Vic knowing that it will lead to the competition to being abandoned - the idea of all games being played in NSW as a hub would be something that the NSW government would be happy about. The worse case scenario is that they are forced to quarantine for 14 days delaying their matches.

Surprised this is an issue for Victory since they’ve stayed in kogarah since May 2019…

6 Likes

They’ll make them do some huge rounds of testing etc. Especially as they should have been quarantining any way in Victoria

Crazy situation. Dammed if they do (scramble to get out of Melbourne in 12 hours looks silly), dammed if they don’t (sit home).

Maybe, but NOW everyone looks fucking stupid after being told they would have had to quarantine in Canberra.

This is just amazing. Surely you’d check the quarantine rules before making the plan?

I’m getting a 403 on that link but last I heard they’d been told they’d have to quarantine if they flew into Canberra. They’ve been given an exemption to enter NSW. Why not just hire a bus or let the players drive their own cars?

This is a bit ridiculous

Agreed. The new Grafton gaol has opened and there’s spare cells so there is no reason why they shouldn’t have been put in there.

3 Likes