HAL Transfers and Rumours 2018/19 (and 19/20)

Agreed, top player. Horrible dirty, divey, whiny bastard though.

Top 3 tiers.

A good chunk, the top 4.

Looks to me like they will have a core of slightly above HAL average players from the UK and kids. High risk as not all of the imports will hit the ground running. If they had hired him earlier he could have had a crack at getting some better locals.

I don’t think he’s missed out too much on better locals. Some clubs have had a huge clean-out, including Brisbane. I’d say there’s plenty of opportunities for him to get some decent players.

It also seems to be that the start of the independent A-League is leaving a lot of people uncertain on how things are going to play out, and they’re waiting to see what they intend to do before proceeding. It has been spoken about during Foxtel coverage, so there must be a real feeling of unease among players in particular.

I dunno.

I would expect that most players starting for an A-League title aspirant would be good enough (in terms of quality, setting aside ability to adapt to the style/culture/country/etc.) to play in the Championship.

The better domestic players have generally always been able to hold their own at Championship level, and even comparing the current Aussie crop over there (Meredith, Williams, Wright, Luongo, Irvine) to top domestic players in those positions (Lowry, Spira, Wilko, Grant, O’Neill, Antonis) it’s thereabouts.

A competitive side should have at least 2-3 such players plus 3-4 foreigners at that level or better.

If Brisbane wants to be competitive but is spending multiple foreign spots on League One/Two level players who’ve never even earnt a look in at Championship standard, then their ability to pick a diamond from the rough had better be spot on. Other teams are importing foreigners from Eredivisie, Bundesliga, La Liga.

The other issue is the vastly different conditions. There are a certain % of Europeans who struggle with the heat and hard pitches. If you bring 4 over and 2 can’t handle it you have a huge gap in your squad.

Calling it now. They wont make finals.

Huge call. I have them nailed on for the spoon.

I’m convinced Wests will get the spoon. Call it gamblers fallacy but CCM cant be shit forever and Babbel is a fraud.

Agreed. Babbel will be gone by Christmas and guys like Schwegler and whoever else come over to play for him will want out after that.
Kevin Muscat to be appointed as his successor?

Dear Santa, I dont ask for much but please make this happen.

Muscat’s going to Qatar isn’t he? In time for him to be sacked there and come back to WSW.

Hes going to the Moon premier league, but its not far enough!

Mariners sign Giancarlo Gallifuoco for 2 years

Players at the other 10 clubs just winced and grabbed their shins.

Scorey out after contract expired. Hard to see where he might go now. NPL not a great option as standard of medical care isn’t as good. Nix or WU maybe? Still vividly remember him dominating for those 3 months or so with us a few years back.

I’m assuming being a new Dad being based in Sydney that he wouldn’t want to move out.

Plus I’m not sure how he would go with synthetic pitches. Maybe retirement beckons?

Always makes me wonder how many Pele’s and Maradonnas never got to show their abilities because their bodies let them down…

As for Westgate (I refuse to call them something as ridiculous as western United) I think they will go pretty close to the plate next year. Rudan is a good coach with a whole preseason to prepare, they have got some very handy defensive players without using foreign spots and with the concessions in squad regulations they get as a new entry they look dangerous.

He’s signed with mounties

Seriously?

Goal (weakest possible source) saying Santalab to Dandenong City in NPL1 Vic.