How will the FFA or APL Squander this?

Announcement will be that Danny has managed to lock in that GF cruise ship.

7 Likes

I posted this in the other thread in regards to the public holiday but maybe it is more appropriate here.

ā€œDisclaimer, I live overseas currently so public holiday does nothing for me. But, considering how much money that would cost the state and federal economies if I could choose to substitute the holiday with tens of millions of government support into all levels of the game over the coming years I know which is the much better for the lasting legacy of this home World Cup and Aussie performance.

I mean itā€™s ridiculous how much kids have to pay to play the game for their local club to start withā€¦ā€

I look at this from a long term perspective also. Get more kids into the game and improve their development up until the end of their teens when the best are going to be going to the bigger European clubs. The way to capitalize off this is mass amounts of government support on football facilities and subsidies on playing and development. Their is no better advertising for the sport than our national teams challenging for and winning trophies.

They will fuck it up by failing to develop and execute a top to bottom strategy for engaging all three levels of government to seek the funding and support that the sport deserves in this country on an ongoing basis

They will fail to engage and hire the lobbyists who can open doors, instead theyā€™ll passively wait, hoping that politicians will notice the massive inequity in funding and infrastructure and just fix it without being pressured and basically browbeaten into doing the right thing.

Right now they should be talking to the lobbying firms that represent AFL and NRL at every level and buying that expertise to exploit this once in a generation activity, but they wonā€™t, theyā€™ll rearrange the fucking deckchairs again and change the wallpaper while the garden shed that is domestic football sinks into the swamp.

6 Likes

Iā€™d really just settle for them not pissing everyone off.

Iā€™d settle for cup holders.

2 Likes

The various factions of the various state divisions will initiate a round robin of pointless and mutually destructive in-fighting in the deluded belief that there will soon be rivers of gold flowing into the game, any-day-now, on the back of the Matildas performance and they all want to be closest to the fiscal spigot, with their hands out, when the rivers of gold flow.

The rivers of gold, of course, never happen because you need good infrastructure on top of good will to capitalise on the Matildasā€™ performance. There will be too few playing fields to cope with the increased demand and because the custodians at the state division are charging $1000+ per season for kids to play the game on garbage playing fields, the good will will dissipate by this time next year.

2 Likes

Meet you in the middle, we get cup holders in all stadiums, but DT will have personally pissed in each one.

3 Likes

The dissolution of state federations!

Wait, this is the bad idea threadā€¦

I donā€™t know how any of you get drunk when all your glasses are half empty even after one of the greatest football events likely to happen in your miserable lives.

3 Likes

Fucking experience.

9 Likes

No ticketing money goes to the host. All revenue goes to FIFA. They also take a chunk of the F&B dollaridoos.

And, of course, infrastruture costs all borne by the host(s).

Decent deal for the FIFA fat cats, you could say.

4 Likes

On the other hand, weā€™d get licensing fees for the Matildas brand, so all these billboards people think the APL should be paying to advertise on right now, Lego mural at Bondi, etc are instead resulting in income for FA.

Thereā€™s also other forms of direct and indirect income. Long term, youā€™d have more teams being interested in coming to Australia for games, as well as direct tourism from the actual World Cup and after. Also factor in a general increase in spending in the local population during games, merchandise etc. Thereā€™s a fair bit of cash involved, especially if you factor in that Australia had to do almost zero infrastructure work on this. The stadiums were already good to go, training fields are within reason for all teams and if was shared with NZ. If you look at Qatar, obviously very different.

Yeah its hard not to be a bit pessimistic when you see so many false dawns.

The 2004 World Cup, the Asian Cup win on home soil, last years World Cupā€¦

Iā€™ve come to accept that those moments are less of a springboard for football and more the end products - and ones to be enjoyed. You canā€™t rely on these moments to do the work for you. You do the work and then these performances are the reward.

7 Likes

Whilst its probably something like turning the W-League fully pro, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if itā€™s something silly.

Because Football in Australia has had opportunity after opportunity to make use of a whole bunch of free publicity and has repeatedly tanked it. Sometimes through their own faults, and other times due to other factors, but failing to then do anything. We won the Asian Cup in Australia, yet there was no push by the A-League to capitalize on this. We had (at the time), the most successful World Cups for an Australian team, yet ALM managed to screw all the publicity up by announcing a NSW Grand Final. followed by Australiaā€™s Shame managing to screw it up further, with probably one of the weakest responses by football administrators in decadesā€¦

1 Like

Swimming and Athletics donā€™t convert Olympic interest into a regular audience. Nobody gives a fuck about tennis outside of the Australian Open.

People need to get their expectations in order.

5 Likes

Correct, but good performances on the Olympic and international level lead to increased funding

I think people can recognise that Saturday night was one of the best sporting events this country has ever seen and that can never be taken away. It is also fair to keep the FA and the APL on their toes to ensure they donā€™t fuck things up like our footballing bodies have done so many times in the past. I hope the appropriate support from all types of stakeholders is given to ensure this World Cup leaves a lasting legacy.

1 Like

How about linking Matildaā€™s and Socceroos (the games that tv wants) tv deal with ALM and ALW and play hardball with all the conditions we want.