Impact of coronavirus on Sydney FC thread

If two weeks off the training pitch (make no mistake, even if that happens they’d still be keeping fitness up individually) makes or breaks the decision then the comp is better off without them. As a footballing nation we’ve already bent over backwards for their inclusion despite the economic drag and constant issues it causes us with the AFC. There’s still 6 games to go, they’ll get a nice “winter break” / refresh with plenty of time to put it all together again before finals. They’re also not the only team affected.

These are unprecedented times. Making demands displays a lack of perspective and an entitlement that the same rules shouldn’t apply to them. Then where do you draw the line? When do you stop making such exceptions?

That’s the crux of this whinge. Everyone is high and mighty about what’s best for society right now, but when it actually impacts them that shit is out the window and it’s everyone for themselves.

Hey, equally as important, did anyone call this in the season prediction thread? :joy:

1 Like

They would literally be the only team that isn’t training. LITERALLY. We had a two week break and look how poorly we played the week after and thats WITH 2 weeks of training.

Also, they’re doing the FFA a favor. They’re literally leaving their families for 6-8 weeks so pricks like you can get their football fill. They’re also doing that, when they’re leaving a country with ZERO new Covid cases in the past few days and coming to a country with a steady GROWTH of Covid cases. Entitled much? Also knowing that if they contract a case, they’re then not playing football, sitting in hospital and delaying their return home even longer, all for literally nothing

Victory are in the exact same boat, no?

WTF? That’s uncalled for. If they have genuine concerns about coming here and leaving their families then no one would hold it against them.

They’re not doing that. They’ve agreed to come but are trying to dictate terms. There’s a difference.

Lol I don’t think you’re a prick but I disagree with you. They’re right to put their foot down. There’s no point in coming if they can’t train. If we’re going to continue the season the sporting integrity of the competition has to be maintained. Otherwise just call it off.

I’m surprised the PFA would be on board with them coming at all to be honest. I doubt a three month stint OS in the middle of a pandemic is in the standard player contract.

If they stay at the AIS, move between the accommodation and playing field without interaction with others, doesn’t that still count as quarantine?

That’s basically what they are asking; does quarantine mean alone at home or can it be a collective quarantine without interacting with others not directly attached to that group?

It’s a fucking reasonable question from Wellington and calling them on it is very, very inconsiderate.

1 Like

Fair call, prick was a bit much (I got fired up) and I apologize.

But you can’t be calling them entitled when they’re demands are pretty reasonable when they’re realistically putting themselves in danger of infection for the sake of actually giving people entertainment. When the whole world is calling off live sports, they’re willing to come over here for the sake of a competition.

Wellington will be pissed when the league gets cancelled at the end of their 2 weeks then they have to fly back home and be quarantined for another 14 days.

1 Like

They are arriving tomorrow,allowed to train afte
R reaching agreement with health authorities,so WorldGame is reporting

Would not be surprised if that’s what actually happens.

As I’ve mentioned before, I don’t see how the season can continue in a fair manner. It really should be stopped right now. The safety of everybody, and also attempting to limit the spread of COVID-19 as much as possible, have to be the priorities. As a bonus, we will have a fairly accurate table in the history books for this season. Nobody can really say that they deserve to be higher or lower than they are now.

1 Like

No harm in trying to complete season,ifa player or official gets infected that’s time to call stumps.

For anyone with derby tickets wondering about a refund, just received this:

Dear Ticket Holder,

Western Sydney Wanderers has announced in relation to the global coronavirus pandemic, WESTERN SYDNEY WANDERERS V SYDNEY FC at Bankwest Stadium, Saturday 21 March 2020 will proceed as scheduled, however fans will not be admitted into the venue.

Western Sydney Wanderers understand that these changes to the schedule will impact many but hope the community will understand that the public health and safety issues caused by the coronavirus must take priority at this time.

What happens to my tickets?

All purchased tickets will receive a full refund.

Tickets purchased by credit or debit card will be refunded in full (including ticket insurance premium and refundable ticket purchase, if relevant) and patrons do not need to take any action. Patrons should allow approximately 20 working days for the refund to appear in their account.

If your credit or debit card has been permanently closed/cancelled or the card has expired, please supply us with updated bank details here in order to process your refund.

If you do not provide correct details, we will be unable to refund your tickets.

Patrons who purchased tickets in an Agency using cash or EFTPOS will receive a full refund to a bank account. Please provide us with your bank accounts details here.

Regards,
Ticketek

Is this one of those Nigerian things?

1 Like

My suspicion is that if games don’t go ahead and don’t get broadcast, then FFA doesn’t get paid, and then the clubs don’t get paid.

Each club missing out on gate receipts from 3/4 home games “behind closed doors” is probably good for at least a couple of hundred thousand per club (assuming memberships aren’t being refunded, otherwise more), and I’d guess the FFA missing out on 100k+ people through the gates over 3 weeks of finals would cost them in the order of $5m.

A ~$10m+ hit accross a league which was already struggling would already be pretty damaging, particularly as the owners who’ve been subsidising the already-loss-making clubs have also had their fortunes hammered by the market, and it could well be that all parties - including the players - are doing as much as they reasonably can to keep as much money coming in to combat an existential threat.

You don’t want to be a professional footballer in a bankrupt league. That could well be worth risking a runny nose for.

1 Like

SO FFA just announced all grassroots football (includes NPL) to be suspended until April 14, including training.

vCove 1.0 ?

With our league one of many still going ahead, and hopefully with some saner heads than the schoolgirl screwing ones…

How resourceful are our extremely talented (and handsomely proportioned) uni students now they have no uni?

Could they develop some kind of vCove in order to support our lads in full (virtual) voice?

Is there something like a wi-fi speaker that could stand on the seat of every Cove seat, and have cove members, or SFC members in general, singing as one into our phones? There are some pretty expensive ones out there but I guess they could work if you allocated, say, 50 members per speaker yet you’d still need a fair few to give the team a vCrowd feel from the pitch.

Would need the “SFC vCapo” app to coordinate things, us to procure (oh wait, from china, hmmm) individual wifi speakers and maybe the club to organise the at ground wifi network side etc.

Maybe an entrepreneurial IT guy (Grant?) could even sell this to clubs & codes across the planet once our uni folk got it running?

HUGE tifo fund potential there!

And yes, think I’ve already been locked up too long.

2 Likes

Stay tuned, we may be mass watching on twitch or discord tonight

2 Likes

If you pay taxes, you already are.

2 Likes