In the market for a new TV

My father in law took 2 months to figure out the smart tv, regularly sets his I-phone to silent and can’t access his bank accounts… If you think I’m adding more technology into that house…

I’m currently requiring payment of the local Chinese food whenever I give IT support … If I get him Chromecast I’ll go from being overweight to outright fat…

1 Like

Just buy last years’ model. It’s half the price and unless your absolutely obsessed with getting an extra few pixels or having a black that’s blacker than black, you’ll be happy. We did that and our tv has been fine for 4 years now

2 Likes

As others have commented LG OLED (save $ on last year model) plus Nvidia Shield and/or Chromecast (I have both) so to view Kayo, Binge etc.

Cheers for the replies. Reckon I’ll wait till lockdown is over and try some out in store. Plenty of food for thought though. Leaning towards a Samsung

How much more black could they be?

None. None more black.

1 Like

I had the reverse experience. I had a Samsung (which was a good TV) but things started going wrong about three months after the warrantee ran out. Then I got a Panasonic 60” Plasma, eight years old now and not a problem.

Whatever you spend on the TV, you should spend as much (or possibly more) on the sound.

I got my TV just before they started making “Smart TVs” so I stream via an Apple TV (no worries about Apps) hooked up to a 5.1 Denon AVR. I built the speakers over a number of years starting with two Jamo concert speakers and a centre speaker, and then getting the sub-woofer and surround speakers a few years later.

Apollo HiFi at Marrickville were excellent for the sound part of the equation

I’ve had issues with a few Samsung products so I avoid them now. I will say though that I had a Samsung washing machine that was 4 years old (out of warranty) that died and Samsung gave me a full refund of the original purchase price without me asking or bringing up consumer affairs etc.

I’ve still got my 13 year old Bravia. Hasn’t missed a beat and is still running flawlessly. Gotten such amazing value from that investment. Wouldn’t hesitate to get another Sony if I was in the market.

2 Likes

Just had my new LG OLED delivered today, in time for tonight’s game.
Our old tv had been ghosting and basically fucked for a month or two, so I’d forgotten what it was like to watch a football game and be able to pick players out.

That said, noticed the far/top touchline was a bit jaggy. Is this just an issue with upscaling, or do I need to play around with the settings?

Most likely compression artifacts due to the shit tier quality of the broadcast. What were you using to watch the game? The stream on 10 was well below even 720p and there’s very noticeable artifacts especially around static images like the score and stuff moving in the background.
Try watching something on Netflix or Stan, or even a Blu-ray if possible to make sure it’s not a panel issue. I’ve got an LG OLED and I found a pretty good guide online to get a good picture that’s not saturated or postprocessed to shit. I’ll see if I can find it.

Was watching on 10 Bold. Wall aerial → Foxtel iq5 → tv.

The picture is great other than that.

It was just garbo telecast quality.

That channel normally shows b tier comedies 90s sit-coms…

Have a look through that. While every panel is different, you should be able to get it to at look a bit better than how it comes out of the box.

But yeah i agree, id say it was just the shit broadcast quality.