J.League 2024 and beyond

Another round of Emperor’s Cup sneaked by me last week, let’s have a catch up on the Round of 16.

Yokohama F. Marinos absolutely stole one off V-Varen Nagasaki, going 2-1 down in the 92nd minute only to score in the 98th and 100th minute to win 3-2.

(J2) V-Varen Nagasaki 2-3 Yokohama F. Marinos (J1)
(J1) Sagan Tosu 02 Renofa Yamaguchi (J2)
(J1) Sanfrecce Hiroshima 2-0 Ehime FC (J2)
(J1) Gamba Osaka 3-2 Shonan Bellmare (J1)
(J2) Ventforet Kofu 1-2 Kashima Antlers (J1)
(J1) Kashiwa Reysol 0-1 Vissel Kobe (J1)
(J1) Kyoto Sanga 2-0 Oita Trinita (J2)
(J2) JEF United Chiba 1-0 Hokkaido Consadole Sapporo (J1)

Into the last eight now, the record of the 8 remaining teams:

Yokohama F. Marinos - 7 time winners (last in 2013)
Kashima Antlers - 5 time winners (last in 2016)
Gamba Osaka - 5 time winners (last in 2015)
JEF United Chiba - 4 time winners (last in 1976)
Sanfrecce Hiroshima - 3 time winners (last in 1969)
Vissel Kobe - 1 time winner (only time in 2019)
Oita Trinita - 0 time winners (losing finalists 2021 their longest cup run)
Renofa Yamaguchi - 0 time winners (QF this year is their best ever cup run)

I really want a Sanfrecce Emperor’s Cup, the one trophy I crave to see them win more than anything else.

Since the 3rd and final win back in 1969 (as Mazda SC), they have gone on and lost 9 finals.

Machida Zelvia at home to Urawa on Optus atm. Duke on the bench again.

1 Like

Nice finish for the Urawa goal

Edit took a deflection

Still a nice strike on the volley, been all MZ but geez they really didn’t pick up at that set piece.

Seems a bunch of games have been postponed this weekend with the typhoon, incl. the Osaka derby that was meant to be on after this. Will have to downgrade and watch Brighton vs Arsenal instead.

Live table has Sanfrecce on top as it stands :partying_face:

Duke missed a couple of chances so far, Wanderers scum!

Typical batshit J-League game, love it. :+1:

Hope Urawa are making the bellend that had their killer goal ruled out walk back to Saitama, such an unnecessary foul pulling back the MZ defender off the ball. :laughing:

Been watching Avispa vs Kobe.

Or trying to. Seems Optus think its cool to just leave the half time prem highlight packages running instead of cutting back to the game! 10 minutes into the half so far.

Switching from live to watch from start and winding it forward fixed it but why did i need to?

Someone recently moved over from Paramount?

First leg of the J.League Cup quarter finals was this week and it looks like two of the ties are already done and dusted, with the other two going to be hard fought in the second leg. It’s fairly obvious to see which is which…

Kawasaki Frontale 1-0 Ventforet Kofu (14,847)
Yokohama F. Marinos 6-1 Hokkaido Consadole Sapporo (7,996)
Albirex Niigata 5-0 FC Machida Zelvia (9,130)
Nagoya Grampus 0-1 Sanfrecce Hiroshima (11,918)

Second QF leg coming up on Sunday. No J.League because of international break, but this gives us something to do in the meantime.

I’m off to Niigata vs Bellmare tonight. First football game of this trip. Keen.

On the train into town I was thinking “oh not a lot of big buildings” and then the DENKA BIG SWAN ARENA just appeared and blocked out the horizon.

4 Likes

Some peak J-League banners on display

3 Likes

Best bit of grounds in Japan are the food options

I risked the stadium takoyaki, I’ll report back tomorrow if it all went wrong.

Fun game, 3-1, VAR red card for a dude kicking someone in the chest behind play. Fun times.

There is no risk with stadium food in Japan

Did the whole home end just bob up and down for the whole match without stopping?

I’m still yet to work out if Route Inn Hotels is a chain or an instruction.

Hoping to squeeze in a J-League game during October Socceroos / SFC trip, current itinerary leaves a Kyoto or Cerezo home game as options (always had a soft spot for Sanga but we may be in Osaka that weekend instead).

Like 80% of it, both actives. Great effort given it was 30c and 80% humidity all game.

I think it was Cerezo have a hotel built into their stadium under one of the stands? I don’t know if true but it would be a cool place to stay if it is.