Lesser Known Player Memory Thread

MY SCARF!!!

Nobody is talking about Ranko’s first goal for us? When we beat Welly in stoppage time while down to 10 men?

Not a player, but the J-League english twitter account posted this picture of Pierre Littbarski recently.

Also not lesser known, but certainly just not discussed anymore.

I don’t think so. He did play against us but didn’t score (unless we’ve played them more than once in the cup.

I’d like to throw in Nik Tsattalios and Hagi. Both again in an extended league at the time would have been given a lot more football. Tsattalios had huuuuge wraps on him

Daniel Petkovski also played.

He really should have done more, but I remember that he didn’t really have the mental side down pat and faded pretty hard

That’s who my post was talking about. I’ve just gone back and re-read it and see that I hadn’t put his name at the start of the 2nd paragraph which I have now corrected. The scarf he’s wearing in the photo Clovis posted is the one I mentioned that I gave him at the end of the game you’re talking about.

I seem to remember quite a bit of hype surrounding Mitch Mallia and if memory serves me right he even played for Olyroos but again a striker that never came of anything.

Young? Fast? You have to be a winger in a 1-4-3-3!!!

Apparently we once had some guy called Adam Casey.

I think I used to drink a lot at games.

2 Likes

This is great around the 3 minute mark, it has to be the only time John Buonavoglia’s name was ever mentioned in A-League commentary.

The entire U-21 Thanh Niên squad of 2012 and 2013.

I think I have heard Buonavoglia’s name on food safari more times than I ever did on the football coverage

Here’s old mate Ibrahima Thiam scoring during the pre-season friendly match against AEK Athens FC at the SFS on July 25, 2010.

6 Likes

Good to see the crowd was an early adopter of social distancing

#aheadoftheirtime

3 Likes