Round 1 - Adelaide vs Sydney FC - 19/10/18

Kicking off with an away game in Adelaide.

Sydney FC squad
1.Andrew REDMAYNE (Gk), 2. Aaron CALVER, 4.Alex WILKINSON, 5.Jop van der LINDEN, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Michael ZULLO, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9. Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 13.Brandon O’NEILL, 14.Alex BROSQUE ©, 20.Alex CISAK (Gk), 21. Charles LOKOLI-N’GOY, 22. Siem DE JONG, 23. Rhyan GRANT, 24. Cam DEVLIN, 25. Joel KING.
*one to be omitted

Unavailable: 3.Ben WARLAND (foot – 8 weeks), 11. Daniel DE SILVA (1 week – hamstring), 12. Trent BUHAGIAR (ACL – indefinite), 19.Chris ZUVELA (knee – indefinite)

Adelaide United squad
2.Michael MARRONE, 3.Scott GALLOWAY, 4.Ryan STRAIN, 5.Taylor REGAN, 6.Vince LIA, 8.Isaías SÁNCHEZ ©, 9.Baba DIAWARA, 10.Ken ILSØ, 11.Craig GOODWIN, 16.Nathan KONSTANDOPOULOS, 20.Paul IZZO, 22.Michael JAKOBSEN, 23.Jordan ELSEY, 26.Ben HALLORAN, 27.Louis D’ARRIGO, 30.Isaac RICHARDS, 31.Mirko BOLAND, 32.Carlo ARMIENTO
*Two to be omitted

Unavailable: nil

Adelaide United 2018/19 Ins & Outs

Ins: Mirko Boland (Eintracht Braunschweig), Scott Galloway (Phoenix), Craig Goodwin (Sparta Rotterdam), Ben Halloran (V-Varen Nagasaki), Ken Ilsø (Penang), Michael Jakobsen (City)

Outs : Johan Absalonsen (SønderjyskE), Daniel Adlung (mutual contract termination), Džengis Čavušević (end of contract), Tarek Elrich (Wanderers), Ben Garuccio (Hearts), Ersan Gulum (Hebei China Fortune – end of loan), Mark Ochieng (Adelaide Comets), Jordan O’Doherty (Wanderers)

Sydney FC 2018/19 Ins & Outs

Ins : Trent Buhagiar (Mariners), Siem de Jong (Ajax), Daniel De Silva (Mariners) Adam le Fondre (Bolton Wanderers), Jop van der Linden (AZ Alkmaar)

Outs : Bobô (Alanyaspor), Jordy Buijs (V-Varen Nagasaki), David Carney (released), Fabio Ferreira (Glory), Anthony Kalik (Hajduk Split), Adrian Mierzejewski (Changchun Yatai), Matt Simon (Mariners), Luke Wilkshire (Wollongong Wolves)

You’d think the same as ffa cup with brosque coming in for buhagiar.

Two meetings there in 11 days.
Buhagiar is a big loss (there’s a sentence I didn’t expect to be typing a few months back) as his pace gives us a different way of hurting teams. Though it’s reassuring to have Brosque, beardy anger and all, for the season opener.

1 Like

Where DDS at? I’ve lost track of him.

He’s apparently not playing this week but in line to come in next week. Given our recent history with these things, I’d not expect him to play the derby either.

Gutted for Buhagier doing his ACL.

I guess we go

Redmayne
Grant Wilkinson Jop Zullo
O’Neill Brillante
Ninkovic De Jong Brosque
Le Fondre

Bench: Cisak, Calver, Retre, Devlin, Lokolingoy

With no Buhagier, Warland and De Silva thats looking a tad light. Its either that or Brosque on the bench and Retre on the right

Buhagiar is a huge loss.

his pace alone meant another option.

However brosque is the most worthy replacement… i just hope his body has the ability his head does.

Sydney FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (Gk), 2. Aaron CALVER, 4.Alex WILKINSON, 5.Jop van der LINDEN, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Michael ZULLO, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9. Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 13.Brandon O’NEILL, 14.Alex BROSQUE ©, 20.Alex CISAK (Gk), 21. Charles LOKOLI-N’GOY, 22. Siem DE JONG, 23. Rhyan GRANT, 24. Cam DEVLIN, 25. Joel KING.

one to be omitted*

Unavailable: 3.Ben WARLAND (foot – 8 weeks), 11. Daniel DE SILVA (1 week – hamstring), 12. Trent BUHAGIAR (ACL – indefinite), 19.Chris ZUVELA (knee – indefinite)

You now own this thread and can edit the first post

That’s what I would think. I’d prefer to have De Jong in the creative wide position on the right. Although we lose some speed, Brosque brings passion and is obviously very experienced.

The new kinda of long ball football we play is hampered having brosque and ALF up front instead of ALF and De Jong from what I remember in the FFA cup, I’d expect Charles to be first sub on to give us a bit of presence up front.

What will the bench look like with these injuries, Calver, Retre, Zuvela and Charles? So this is what its like to have benches like other clubs, got too used to the best bench in the league.

I’d be thinking:
Redmayne
Grant Wilkinson Jop Zullo
O’Neill Brillante
De Jong Brosque Ninkovic
Le Fondre

1 Like

Yeah look the three would be fluid but the more I think of it the most likely Retre on the right Ninkovic on the bench Brosque off the bench is most likely.

But a left field move could be Retre RB and Grant at RM. Grants far better at getting forward and crossing than Retre so it could be an interesting tweak. I’d be worried about too much interchange between the two and then both being caught in midfield

I mean the problem is that long ball football doesn’t really suit Charles, who can’t win anything in the air.

Depends on how high they’re defending. To get any value out of Charlie, I think we really need him on the shoulder, with team-mates looking for any opportunity to play him through.

When Charlie comes on, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brosque come off and us play that 4-2-2-2 formation that we’ve played sometimes.

ALF    Charlie   
 Ninko                 De Jong  
      Brillante     O'Niel  
 Zullo    Jop    Wilko    Grant
           Redders

Or on the ground…

Or find space to receive a pass…

I reckoning Bimbi will play the 4-2-2-2 formation with ALF and Brosque up front

I saw Zuvela mentioned up the page - he is out too, listed as a knee injury, no length of time specified.

I’m definitely in agreement it’ll be a 4-2-2-2. Better to stick with the style they’ve worked on in preseason. I reckon Devlin and Charlie should both get some decent game-time over these coming weeks with the injuries, which is good for both of them.

1-1 draw is my prediction, Adelaide to score first then we equalise late on through a dodgy pen.