Round 11 - Sydney FC vs CCM - 4/1/19

We would have still done them, with a strong second half (we continue to be a second half team), but fuck me other teams like to make it easy for us.

That said, I do appreciate that we don’t have that bullshit happen to us these days. Cisse wouldn’t play for me again if I was Mulvey.

The five starting As last night doesn’t quite match the record from our away ACL match vs Kashima where we had six (Alex x2, Andrew, Aaron, Adrian, Anthony), but another Anthony off the bench last night makes it equal if we count subs.

Of all the other letters, only S has also had six in the starting lineup, but that happened 23 times, including 6 where another S came off the bench (Seb, Simon, Stephan, Steve, Stuart, Sung-Hwan, Shannon in 2009-10).

5 Likes

You’re the stat man!

Ski-bi dibby dib yo da dub dub
Yo da dub dub
Ski-bi dibby dib yo da dub dub
Yo da dub dub

1 Like

I knew you’d be all over it. Cheers.

We’ve had 5 goals scored by players starting with D before (Zdrila + Carney and Bobo + Carney if you count Deyvison), but other players scored in those matches, so it is a SFC record in that sense. We’ve never actually had 3 different players with the same letter score in the same game before either, so that’s another one.

Whether it’s a league-wide record is not something I can answer.

If FOX had a different graphic for a straight red and a second yellow, like just about every other league in the world, there’d be a lot less confusion.

Also just nitpicking something that needs fixing, Redmayne really needs to communicate better with Calver. There were several situations where Redmayne could have easily claimed but Calver intervened. Wilkinson probably plays a role there as well.

For all the exuberance of walking away on a fine evening with 3 points and 5 goals in the bag, there’s lots that needs fixing.

1 Like

Great evening. Cove in fine voice and the sides chiming in well. Feel sorry for CCM fans - a good bunch they are. All the teams they play have former CCM players who are just doing so much better now or their better players are now on the bench at other clubs (da Silva, Caceres, Fitzgerald etc) and they replace them with struggling, young locals or squaddie rejects and a few good quality overseas players (or Tommy Oar) who get injured way too much. Was Clarkey the secret to the CCM successes of the Arnie era too? .

Also, if Cisse were wearing MV colours yesterday would he have received either yellow? Ditto our pen. Not to criticise the ref - who did a very good job but so many times players at bigger clubs get away fouling more but without punishment.
Great second half although we could have had 5 by half time. Ivanovic has wonderful speed and timing of his runs. Exciting prospect. Still not sure why we signed Caceres, even if he is a tidy, skillful player. Doesn’t look like a ‘grab a game and give it a shake’ player, while Ivanovic does. We have enough tidy, skillful MF players on the bench already.
Retre is one but he is not a RB. The way Paine was outplaying him in the first quarter was very worrying, and Retre shows too little urgency in covering (reminded me of old Stu Musialik). I would prefer Tratt at RB while Grant is away.)

We knew we would miss Grant and we absolutely have, but still 2 wins out of two while he’s been gone. Just seems like our whole backline is out of form at the same time, and Retre coming in as RB isn’t great, but it’s the best we have and hasn’t been a total disaster.

We are still winning while not playing amazingly well. We have got used to the good times and while we haven’t been as convincing this season, we are still top of the league (at the time of this post) which is pretty impressive.

I am guessing Caceres has come in because another mid, likely O’Neill will be leaving and the deal is just being finalised. Either that or we are thinking we need a back up if De Jong is injured (very possible).

If we sign a decent forward to take the heat off Brosque I’d be really happy.

Then again, Brosque was our best last night and played most of the game. The work he has put in to carry us to where we are at the moment has been incredible.

1 Like

Cisse was an idiot. 1st yellow; deliberately grabbed the ball to try and claim the foul, then gave the ref a gobful, and then kicked the ball away. Ref had no option.
2nd yellow could have been a straight red.
Ref was ok.

2 Likes

According to Corrica, brosque will be rested a bit in Jan and De Jong will partner with ALF up front. This would allow Caceres/Da Silva to play in the RW position. I’m looking forward to seeing De Jong playing more centrally.

There is some weird communication issue with Zullo and Wilkinson. There was one ball over the top in this game where it looks like some disorganisation with between them meant that Zullo had to scramble and clear the ball (thankfully no goal). Something similar happened in the Wellington goal which resulted in a goal.

Is THAT what happened. Thanks for clarifying. I think a lot of people thought it was a soft yellow for a foul.

What’d everyone think of Corica doing a double sub at 60? I was blown away honestly, especially as it made sense. Can’t remember many times Arnie ever doublesubbed.

I assume it had something do to with playing another game midweek and wanting to rest two key players before that.

Without a doubt, but was really nice to see. Have been annoyed by Corica’s usage of subs but he’s gotten them really right as of late.

The subs were after 70 minutes, still too late imo, should’ve been made at 4-1 as soon as Brosque completed his hatty.

That said Corica deserves more credit for the 2nd half turnaround. He’s also looking more and more comfortable in front of the media which is great.

This.

Still don’t know how I feel about this game. A lot like the derby; but for the red card there would be hysterics on here.

Apologies for the lateness (ironically, my leave over the Summer has left me busier), but I’ve finally put the match report up on the front of the site:
https://www.sfcu.com.au/2019/01/07/sydney-fc-5-2-central-coast-match-report-and-statistics/

1 Like