Round 14 - Perth vs Sydney FC - 24/03/21

It will be nice to go into this game quite rested, though I suspect the rain will have made the preparations much harder. Fingers crossed.

Kicks off a pretty packed few weeks with games on the 24th, 28th, 4th, 7th and 10th- 5 games in 17 days

Sydney FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 2.Patrick FLOTTMANN, 3.Ben WARLAND, 4.Alex WILKINSON ©, 5.Alex BAUMJOHANN, 6.Ryan McGOWAN, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.BOBÔ, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 11.Kosta BARBAROUSES, 16.Joel KING, 17.Anthony CACERES, 18.Luke IVANOVIC, 20.Tom HEWARD-BELLE (gk), 21. Harry VAN der SAAG, 23.Rhyan GRANT, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Jordan SWIBEL, 28.Calem NIEUWENHOF, 33.Pat WOOD

2-4 to be omitted

Ins: 2.Patrick FLOTTMANN (promoted), 27.Jordan SWIBEL (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 7.Michael ZULLO (calf), 12.Trent BUHAGIAR (knee), 19.Chris ZUVELA (knee)

Its not Zullo 1 week anymore

Inevitable with all the postponements. That’s going to be really tough for us in a season with ACL coming up soonish as well.

The way Perth have played this season, they seem to push high up the pitch most of the time. This means our counter-attacking should become more potent if Kosta and any other quick forwards can time their runs in behind. Therefore, this would be a game that I’d be happy to see Bobo at best come off the bench for. This isn’t likely to be the game for him, unless Garcia suddenly decides to change his tactics. I haven’t seen much evidence of that, though.

The biggest issue I have with the Zullo injury is we should’ve looked at bringing in an injury replacement given how long he’s been out for.
It’s asking a lot of King to play every game and be consistent.

Should really be rediscovering our form in front of goal here. Perth have got to be one of the worst defensive sides in the comp. Plus we live in their heads.

1 Like

What’s our plan if King goes down, do you think? Warland? Retre/Grant?

I’d say Warland in the first instance then Retre.
The problem is, unless we go with the youth team LB, we’re shoehorning players into probably the most tactically demanding role in the side.

I wonder what richie garcia has planned to counter the “long ball up the guts to fast attackers” approach every team has killed perth with the past few weeks. Kosta may have some chances here to prove he deserves time on the pine given the young attackers who could fill that same role he does for the match.

Who would you bring in that is available and can easily be brought into the country?

I don’t have a name off the top of my head and I’m not going to go and do a search on Transfermarkt.
Given we have a visa slot available and just about every club has bought a player in from overseas I’m sure our scouting department/contacts could come up with someone.

In saying that the issue I have isn’t that we didn’t bring anyone in, it’s that what was supposedly a short term injury has now been going on for half of the season. The concern is that we’re without adequate cover for a young LB who is expected to play every minute of every game at first team quality while learning the game.

The only other theory I have is that there is an appearance clause in Zullo’s contract that would automatically trigger an extension that the club doesn’t want to activate. If King was to be suspended or injured then Zullo will come in for a game or 2 but he’s not going to be used as a sub or included in squad rotation.

:peach: :baguette_bread:

FOLD :clap: THE :clap: CLUB

1 Like

I would like us to win.

1 Like

Last year Kosta had a field day playing Perth. Every long ball he’d beat the defender to and both scored and got in on the assists. Unfortunately for Bobo, Djulbic has retired and so we can’t expect a defender who is slower than Bobby anymore.

1 Like

That’s what Lachman is for. :wink:

Also you could also count on Dino drill bits to make some catastrophic balls up & gift us a free, penalty or through ball to goal :joy:

1 Like

I want them to win as much as you do, possibly more.

This is the sort of passion that cannot be bottled or manufactured

I tip my cap to you, sir.

3 Likes

Surprised we start Bobo. As mentioned we probably would be better off with pace up top. And Ivanovic with the start. Barbarouses missed out as his wife recently gave birth.

1 Like

Kosta out, Corica just mentioned his missus gave birth to another little girl.