Round 15 - Wellington vs Sydney FC - 23/1/19

A potentially big game this one.

We should have a few players back, which may allow us to move to the 4-2-3-1 that was effective a couple of games ago.

EDIT: Here is the match preview for the front page of the site:

Wellington may be a slightly different proposition at home with the pressures brought by the increased crowds they’re getting - their match vs CCM was a good example, where they needed that Mariners foolish send off to turn things around (and who does that remind you of?)

Hopeful we get a proper 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 and try and drown them out of midfield.

Arse-blasted.

In all seriousness, we will do better. They’re not purely a counter attacking team, Rudes has them very well set up, but I still think it will suit us better to play them on the road. We can sit that bit deeper while the onus is on them to come at us as the home team, then ALF can take the piss out of Durante when we go the other way quickly.

I agreed with the post-match commentary that our midfield had a better balance with Caceres next to Branners. Suspected as much going in. Not calling for Brillante’s head yet either, but I wouldn’t mind adopting more of a “horses for courses” approach on the run in. Joshy to do his destroyer thing while we’re on the road (particularly these next two games), Caceres at home when we need that extra drive going forward against the league’s cannon fodder.

I’m not sure if trust our defence with this at the moment. While we will have to be a bit cautious against Krishna etc, I still think we are too shaky to rely on the counter entirely.

Most of the shakiness comes from dealing with long balls behind the defenders, though.

(I mean, I’d be considering a change to a back 3, if the players have the tactical flexibility. I’m not sure they do)

1 Like

Corica is the one who would need to show more flexibility here. :wink:

It’s probably only remotely possible from now, with Warland and Jop back on deck, and not sure these next two games are right to trial it. Thereafter though, I’d be dead keen.

Both teams will be feeling the pinch having to fly across the ditch, with short down time. Granted we have 1 extra day, but they will be flying home and have a younger team. My main question is how SFC cope with the Nix’s high press, high energy game. Perhaps the extra day will provide some leeway for the sky blues?

I guess this would also be dependent on who we have available for our tight wing back. Calver couldn’t do it and I don’t think we have news on if Tratt is available for this game (I doubt he would be starting anyway). Retre might be flexible enough for that role but I’m not sure.

Tratt is out injured for this week at least, apparently. Neither Calver nor Retre have the speed and positioning as RBs to deal the Nux wide attackers. Probably should start Brillante at RB and have Retre, Caceres or Devlin start in CM next to O’Neill. Whoever is there, will have to stop Singh opening up our defence with his passing.

And have the ability to coach a new system, mid-season, into a team that has been pretty set (and well drilled) into a particular approach for a few years now.

It’s not an easy change, imo.

I’ve put the match preview up on the front of the site (I fell off the bandwagon a bit there over the holiday break, but I’m hoping to get back into it):

I suspect we will line up as follows:

Also just a quick reminder (in case you forgot, like I did): this game is on at 5:35pm Sydney time.

Previous Matches

Head-to-Head

Wins: 19 (52.8%)

Draws: 4 (11.1%)

Losses: 13 (36.1%)

Sydney FC record at Westpac Stadium

Wins: 6 (37.5%)

Draws: 3 (18.8%)

Losses: 7 (43.8%)

Last 5 Matches

8/12/18 – Sydney FC 1 – 3 Wellington:

2/2/18 – Sydney FC 4 – 0 Wellington

23/12/17 – Wellington 1 – 4 Sydney FC

15/10/17 – Sydney FC 3 – 2 Wellington

8/4/17 – Wellington 1 – 1 Sydney FC

Records

Biggest Win – 6 goals:

19/01/13 – Sydney FC 7 – 1 Wellington

Biggest Loss – 2 goals:

5 occasions: 4/1/12, 6/10/12, 20/12/14, 12/03/16, 8/12/18*

*Note: We did lose by 3 goals in a pre-season cup match in 2007-08 but I do not count this as a competitive fixture.

Most Goals in a Game – 8 goals:

19/01/13 – Sydney FC 7 – 1 Wellington

Most Appearances vs Phoenix – Alex Brosque (21)*

Most Goals vs Phoenix – Bobo (7)

Key Statistics

• Despite our poor record at Westpac Stadium, Sydney FC have won 4 and drawn 2 of the last 6 games there. The last defeat at Westpac was a 1-0 defeat under Frank Farina on 22/12/13.
  • If selected, this will be Brandon O’Neill and Milos Ninkovic ’s 118th game for the club, putting them equal with Matthew Jurman as eighth highest appearance-getters for the club.
  • A win here would put Sydney FC on 32 points, which is equal to the total number of points scored in 2006-07, 2007-08 and 2012-13, and beats the 26 points scored in 2008-09.

Note: Appearances and goals only include league games, finals, FFA Cup, OFC and AFC Champions League and Club World Cup.

Retre, Brillante and Ninkovic all back. Tratt out for two weeks:

Sydney FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 2.Aaron CALVER, 3.Ben WARLAND, 4.Alex WILKINSON, 6.Josh BRILLANTE, 7.Michael ZULLO, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.Adam LE FONDRE, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 11.Daniel DE SILVA, 13.Brandon O’NEILL, 14.Alex BROSQUE ©, 17.Anthony CACERES, 20.Alex CISAK (gk), 21.Charles LOKOLI-NGOY, 22.Siem DE JONG, 24.Cam DEVLIN, 31.Luke IVANOVIC

two to be omitted

Ins: 6.Josh BRILLANTE (return from suspension), 8.Paulo RETRE (return from injury), 10.Milos NINKOVIC (return from illness).

Outs: 18.Jacob TRATT (groin – 2 weeks)

Unavailable: 5.Jop van der LINDEN (hamstring – 1 week), 12.Trent BUHAGIAR (ACL – indefinite), 19.Chris ZUVELA (knee – indefinite), 23.Rhyan GRANT (International Duty)

1 Like

Two weeks is certainly better than I feared.
A rested Milos will be good news too.

Still sucks for Tratt!

1 Like

I would have thought Corica may toy with the idea of resting key players again , given that we have the Big Blue so soon after the Welly ?
Maybe rest De Jong ,move De Silva over and give young Ivanovic a start , he seems to be a really good prospect with good feet and knows the way to the box.

Corica would never start Ivanovic unless he was loaded with injuries.

And it makes sense. At this point he shouldn’t be starting league games. He’s had some decent cameos but its far too early to get too excited about him.

Yeah he’s best served by getting 30 minutes at the end of games. I’m confident he’ll get at least 15 this time around.