Round 18 - 2019/20 Discussion

God i just came to say how bad he is. Holy moly.

The Popovic nepotism is laughable. How any of his kids are first team worthy is beyond me. They’re all awkward and slow. Vince Lia must be delighted with his move.

How many times has Franjic lasted 90 mins under Poppa? Guaranteed to burn a sub every week.

Also, good strike from Bruno at the end there but WTF is Taylor doing standing on the penalty spot? No reason at all to drop that deep, all he does is blind Marinovic. If he’s on the edge of the box where he should be he probably blocks the shot.

That Glover moment is the exact reason we need an over age keeper at the Olympics.

I’d really like to see them give Michelle Heyman or Georgia Yeoman-Dale a go at the A-League if they want it. They’re both a million times better than the parade of barely literate morons Fox picks out.

Or god forbid, they could employ someone on the basis of communication skills and football insight rather than name recognition.

It’s Vuka’s time, 12 years later.

5 Likes

It’s one thing I like about watching the NBA, NFL and College Basketball and Football.

These players are receiving media training from the age of 18. Those that don’t go into coaching generally get a bit more and then head into broadcasting. Watching the College Football National Championship game, the pre-match and in-game commentary (and they need to fill ALOT of gaps in football) was so impressive.

While the commentators often have a connection to one of the teams playing, they use that connection to provide an insight into the organisations set up, history, coaching staff, whereas in Australia (and all sports are guilty of this) these connections seem to feel more like bias and one sided commentary, which can be off putting.

For those that don’t go to the games, the quality of what you’re listening to is almost as important as what you’re watching.

I really enjoyed Heyman’s commentary last night during the Matildas game. There was a nice combination of technical sporting knowledge, insider insight and player knowledge that made Speed’s involvement more bearable than usual.

1 Like

They seemingly treat sport more seriously and with more dignity than national affairs.

F3 derby in doubt too due to the rain and the rugby tearing it up tonight:

This Brisbane/Adelaide game is shit house.

Mohamed Toure with a very impressive cameo

F3 Derby to go ahead

2 Likes

Simon starting in the F3 derby on a windy, wet and torn up pitch. This is the content I crave.

2 Likes

I’m looking forward to this. I hope it’s as wet and windy as possible.

This would have to be the first time that these conditions will increase the quality of a match.

It always looks great when the Newy active support uses that corner bay.

Emphatic finish from Dimi. What would Newcastle be without him?

Matt Simon has to pace himself. So used to coming off the bench and is already yellow carded after 22 minutes.

2-0. Perhaps using a much smaller figure to “mark” Topor-Stanley was not such a good idea.

This is going to get really ugly. Could end up 5 or 6.

Mariners played some good football and were unlucky (or in dire need of a proper striker) earlier in the season. But they’ve been absolute pants for the last month, since that late win over MV.

1 Like