Round 18 - Brisbane vs Sydney FC - 8/2/18

The trouble is that I don’t really see how we can play all four of Le Fondre, Ninko, De Jong and Reza. There aren’t enough legs in that midfield, and unless they all click together incredibly well, and very quickly, we’re going to be overrun by most teams.

1 Like

What about an O’Neill and Caceres pairing with that? There’s a lot of movement with that.

What gets me just as much as the lack of execution or energy in the performance, was the lack of intelligence. They had a 16 year old left back on debut and not once did we even attempt to test him. We had a 36 year old who has probably never played CB in his life and not once did we even attempt to test him. The players just ended up knocking it around like it was the 92nd minute and winding down the clock. That left me utterly astounded.

If you offered me third (assuming we finish there) at the start of the season having lost Arnie, Buijs, Adrian and Bobo, Id have happily taken that. Corica is a new manager whos done an excellent job when you think of what was up against. Finishing first again was always a dream and as stated our best hope is a run through the finals.

2 Likes

Was Ivanovic injured or just not included?

Didnt see the match, but will catch the replay. Result probably makes the title out of reach. Hope Perth go on with it and we nab 2nd.

The worst part about the game was that you could see it was coming. We grew complacent in the final third and the opportunity to be hit on the counter was mounting, yet nothing changes. While yes, it could have been worse, there is nothing fun in losing to the most out of form team.

A nostalgic tip of the hat to the old days that game.

That is easy De Jong just won’t play. We don’t have time for him to find form anymore it is the end of the season.

He was definitely available for selection, so I’m guessing he was either not selected or there were still question marks. Honestly though, I doubt Corica would pick Austin ahead of Ivanovic in normal circumstances so I’m leaning towards it was precautionary.

Of course I didn’t watch the game either so I’m not sure if the commentators mentioned anything.

He didn’t fly to Brisbane and was left out as a precautionary measure given his minor hamstring strain.

I also blame Fox Sports showing a ‘live’ Ladder when we went a goal up.

1 Like

All that was missing from that game was Charles scoring the winner…

I’m still putting my faith behind Corica, even after that shit show. But i agree with a few people on here that he has to be a motivator and he isn’t doing that at this point in time

When things start to go flat and shit on the field, he looks like he is completely devoid of ideas, stressed, confused, frightened, stunned . Regardless of what he might say , his body language has already spoken volumes.

Giant dick on the ballot paper?

My fault. They were here but haven’t been sighted since I put the teams weekly preparation post up.
Poor Milos, he hadn’t out since the birth of his boy. It showed yesterday.

Hey, no-one has used the term goo fest :slight_smile:

With the benefit of 24 hours and a few more stages of grieving, I think we have done too much goo feasting (there I said it). We played some really wonderful football and on any other day would have had 2 or 3 by half time. Sometimes, things don’t work out (no controlling for opposing GK having a blinder). And yes, we did drop a level (or two) in intensity playing a weaker team we were all over (amid 63% humidity). Also Bimbi not going purple in the face and waving his arms around madly does not mean he is not a motivational coach. He has us playing a more cultured, creative, unpredictable attacking football than any previous SFC coach. But with this comes more risks and our previous ability to defend so well in MF is not there. Not sure if that is systems or individuals (or both) but most goals against us seem to come from crosses from wide on our right, landing between our LCB and LB. And for all the criticism of Brillante’s telling error, he did a powerful amount of good across the park.

2 Likes

From an initial viewing, I thought it was possibly the worst games I have seen for Ninkovic and ONeil but I thought Gucci, De Silva and Zullo were pretty good.

The problem now is the squad looks really unbalanced with Ivanovic deserving time and De Jong also if he is fit. I would probably be looking at giving Jop some gametime as well.

And with one of Melbourne, Perth or both going to drop points tonight, it was a game that we should have and could have won, so pretty disappointing.

Well that was very much unexpected. Loved the fight from the Roar and couldn’t think it could get much worse with injuries etc.
I’m not kidding myself. We rode our luck and game should’ve been over at half time. It did feel like your boys dialed it in a bit.

Popped into Insta just then and there’s bantz and skylarking from the lads on Bert’s feed today.
Question to the forum: too soon? Should our players be allowed to enjoy themselves, or be seen to be doing so, just days after a really poor defeat?