Round 20 - Wellington vs Sydney FC - 23/02/19

Good performance but needed a penalty to bail us out again. Still not happy.

Yesssss, three points and generally a better performance this week.

Canā€™t complain with the 3 points but fuck me, we make it difficult for ourselves.

I think we deserved to win but the second half was nothing special. Brosque makes a big difference coming off the bench, though. Looking forward to seeing what Brosque can do from the start in upcoming games. We will have to rotate some players soon enough because of the ACL.

Iā€™m not sure who Iā€™d give man of the match to. There were a number of decent/solid performers but nobody outstanding. Maybe Oā€™Neill?

I was thinking Oā€™Neill too, as you say lots of 7/10 performances but not too many higher than that. Wilkinson looked alright too.

Needs more love for Redmayne, commanded his box really well and made a few saves look easy, and Grant was also very solid.

2 Likes

Motm voting is open

So a point above East Melbourne as we enter the really busy ACL period. Iā€™m still not optimistic but thatā€™s a nice position to be in.

The Swan Street derby was helpful but not as much as it could and should have been, sadly.

Gucci is almost 6 foot hardly short.

Iā€™ll never go to Campbelltown again , the Government charged me $263 for parking with 2 wheels on a grass verge
Bastards must have been hiding and waiting .

Thatā€™s an expensive game day.

Just uploaded Le Fondreā€™s penalty kick:

You should contest the fine.

No way that is an offence worthy of the same fine as parking on a freeway, a no stopping sign, a clearway, or at a bus stop FFS.

Is Brilliante being asked to do something different to the Arnie era? Noticeably off the pace and quiet most weeks. Form/confidence maybe but he is a good player. Not sure if Ninko in God mode and Adrian meant teams played differently through the middle.

Adrian was great at coming deep and driving forwards. Now thereā€™s more pressure on Brillante in particular to try the same but he just isnā€™t capable of it a lot of the time.

We played some beautiful football yesterday, were sharper and faster with the ball and suffocated the Nux who basically packed their defence and then tried to break on scraps from our errors. Quite an achievement for our boys against a team with lots of very good players. Still having trouble scoring but making lots of chances. Goals will come and then it will be a flood.

I thought everyone of ours was very good to excellent bar Caceres who is another one of those born-lazy in the A League. I donā€™t understand fringe team players like him: why not sprint, chase, tackle when you see regular starters, including marquees, doing it? Maybe that is why they start and you donā€™t? Yes, he has nice technique but that is nowhere near enough. He has no idea how to tackle or even stand up an attacking opponent. Cacace (a FB) skinned him repeatedly and at will, going inside and out. And Caceres, like Retre obviously doesnā€™t see that their job description includes sprinting back to cover.
Josh B made a few passing errors early on but recovered well. I would love to see his tackling and intercept count yesterday. He and Brandon were in absolute beast mode. Singh neutred? Check, Krishna blotted out when deep? Check. Williams smothered when coming inside? Check,. Sheridan repeatedly dispossessed? Check.
I think we can now better understand now how we got carved up a few months ago (from deep passes). Corica, Talay and our CMs, with great work across the park from others, have got us back to Arnie-era full-team defending.

7 Likes

His decline began in the 2nd half of last season and has continued this season. Maybe he played above his standard for the first 18 moths. Donā€™t forget there were many calling for Zuvela to start ahead of him this season.

1 Like

His distribution has never been that great, though. Arnold openly wanted to develop his passing last season but honestly Brillante didnā€™t pass that test at all. Playing a flat or even box 4-4-2 really exposes a CM who canā€™t pass the ball very well.

Have to agree. I think heā€™d be best deployed as the RM in a diamond 4. He can still cover Grant when he bombs on but is closer to both attack & defence to mitigate his passing deficiency.
The diamond would also move Ninko to his best position, #10 and get Caceres central instead of stuck out wide.
Ninko
Caceres Brillante
Oā€™Neill