Round 20 - Wellington vs Sydney FC - 23/02/19

Good signing based on what he did at CCM but Caceras is not a starter. Possibly needs to play himself into form but hasnt shown much when hr has been given a go. Retre should be ahead of him when fit.

Has anything been mentioned in regards to Retre? Why has he been left out of squads for the last few weeks?

Groin I think.

1 Like

Have to agree about the diamond. Was just writing up a comment about that, as I think it was also @eddie suggesting the same thing in the CCM thread last week.

With that idea in mind, I noticed in the stats that Ninković ended up with a deeper average position than Caceres in this game, and also in the CCM before it. This was also true compared to DDS against Brisbane, and before that Retre against Heart. I kept going back, and finally found a game where Ninkoā€™s average position was actually (marginally) more advanced than the RMā€™s - 5-2 against a 10-man CCM in Round 11. And that really doesnā€™t make a whole lot of sense.

MiloÅ”ā€™s professionalism is admirable; heā€™ll track back, heā€™ll defend, heā€™ll drop off to offer passing options to teammates, heā€™ll do whatā€™s asked of him. But, much like 15/16, what weā€™re asking of him is not maximising his contribution - heā€™s not going to win us games with tidy touches and neat passes in the middle third. Get him on the ball higher and earlier in transition, get him more touches on the edge of the box, free him up like Perth does Castro, and he will deliver way more value.

A 4-4-2 diamond with two of ALF/Reza/Brosque/SdJ up front, Ninko/SdJ in a freer #10 role screened by three of Oā€™Neill/Brillante/Caceres/Retre in midfield (Ninko deeper if weā€™re really chasing), just makes a whole lot of sense.

4 Likes

Until we see if SDJ comes back AND is effective, if Ninko goes to 10 in a diamond behind Alf and Reza, that surely means Brosque at LM and Brillante at RM. None of Caceres, Retre or even da Silva have the engine, guts, hunger and athleticism to fully free Grant to attack. Frankly, if the RM did his job properly (whoever is in that role), Ninko would not have to sacrifice himself so much getting back on the left as our CMs would not have to shift across so often to cover. As well, we would have to really think about costs/benefits of breaking up the wonderful Ninko - Zullo - Alf combo down the left. Other possible options could be Ninko to 10, Zullo to LM and someone else (Warland?) to LB. And Tratt to RB and Grant to RM. More speed and grunt in MF and more height at the back.

Playing a 4-4-2 diamond with Brosque there is madness. The LCM and RCM are essentially box to box mids.

1 Like

Brosque is 35. He could probably give his all for 30-40 minutes at most and for me, being an impact player is his perfect role now. Starting is too much of a stretch at his age with his work-rate. He had a few good games earlier this season but Corica got it right to get another striker to start.

Yep. Perfect for the likes of Caceres, Retre, Brillante & Oā€™Neill and could suit DDS as well. It would fit Zuvela as well when he returns. An argument could be made for going to 3 at the back although I think making such a drastic change this late in the season is a little too risky.

For the people writing Caceres off, heā€™s being played out of position (along with DDS). Itā€™s like judging the ability of Alfie when playing at LB, Ninko playing at CB or Vedran Janjetovic playing GK.

I think it can be agreed though that Coricaā€™s persistence with the 4-2-2-2 and shoehorning of players into it is not the most effective way to utilise the squad at his disposal.

@Eddie Not having a go at you mate but I dont think Cacerces has delivered much at all yet. Tell me the game to watch where he has and I will go back and watch it. ā€œHey bikini models, hold ypur horses , gotta watch the Jets game to prove a point to a blokeā€.

1 Like

Do you mean for us or in general?
His career has definitely stalled but he was definitely A-League standard 2 or 3 seasons ago.
As for the bikini models, how would they feel about watching CCMā€™s entire 2014/15 season?

For us.

He was very good for about 18 months for CCM (I was gutted when he went City) but very different player now. Would love for him to get back to those levels and would be amazing to have that player alongside Oā€™Neill. Heā€™s only 26 though.

Cue stupid comments about Gulf leagues.

Nothing wrong with Caceras apart from the fact that he struggles in front of goal, hardly the only one in our team though.

Heā€™d be fine if we played him at CM. He just hasnā€™t got the speed or skill set to play out wide IMO.

I think CĆ”ceres would be good if trained as a backup/replacement for Brillante and Oā€™Neill in the deep CM role they both play should either of them move to Europe or suffer a form slump, but he is only a one year loan from City at present.

1 Like

See my previous comment re: being played out of position.

A form slump from his form slump?

Caceres will need to learn to tackle before he can play CM. As of last week, he couldnā€™t. He will also have to learn to sprint even when he does not have the ball. Frankly, if Tratt is available, i would rather try to convert him into a back-up CM. He at least has the makings (reads game, works hard, athletic, not scared to do dirty work, courageous, wins headers, is disciplined and team-oriented).

1 Like

Yeah, thatā€™s all good against teams in the a-league but when you step up to ACL you need players who are quick on the ball and with the technical ability. I watched the Newcastle/Kashima game and all the players had the skills you list, and Iā€™m not saying Tratt isnā€™t a skillful player, but Kashima embarrassed Newy. As far as I am concerned, if Caceres is able to put in the work pressing and cutting off the passing channels and can add goals to his repertoire, then he could be very useful as CM.