Round 22 - City vs Sydney FC - 6/04/22

Anyone who thinks everything was hunky-dorey until this season, didn’t watch last season.

We had the problems in attack, we’ve just lost half our backline now too.

4 Likes

This is Coricas team

Danny free pies Townsend left a sinking ship.

Corica needs to go asap .

Donachie, Burgess(let’s be honest hasn’t set the world on fire) Kambosa whom has been great and a left back that isn’t great either are his signings.

Kept Zullo whom hasn’t played at all.

Re signed Bobo and Le Fondre who are now way past there best and people are saying , We should give Corica 1 more year?

For what?

Thanks for the memories but we need a massive cleanout and i mean a shitload of players who should be stepping aside.

Tonight’s performance was back to the Ian Crook/Farina days

Pissed Off

The writing was on the wall to an extent, but they still went really close to winning the league and the GF.
Through some poor decisions and some contractual issues they kinda had to run the same team back out there this year, which was obviously a season too many.
Thankfully we have a shit load of freedom to rebuild thoroughly before going into the new stadium.

1 Like

You are exactly right Mate

Did Corica look at the squad before he signed any of these players?

I’d keep Grant, Bratten, Kambosa, Yazbek, Neuwenhoff, Wood, Burgess(only just) Caceras and Maybe Ninko if he plays on and the Goal keepers.

The rest can go. They are either too slow or not good enough .

Hope you’re right Moller

There are some players that should be stepping aside.

Ffs they’ve had a good run. You can’t play forever.

Yep, time to cut and run with a lot of them. Get younger, start again.
We have shitloads of cap space and only a handful signed for next year: Squad Speculation Thread 2021/22

You’d have to look deeper at our squad to see what we really need.

Goalkeepers? We MIGHT be able to improve, but if we kept our three goalkeepers it wouldn’t be a big deal, so long as we’re not paying overs for Redmayne, who hasn’t been at his best this season.

RB? I’d say Grant and Talbot can duke it out for the RB spot. That should be good, healthy competition, and both players have unique advantages. I’d be okay with that.

LB is a worry. O’Toole is okay but doesn’t strike me as a player who can start regularly in a title-winning team, and it seems he’s under contract next season. We definitely need a new starting LB. I’m not sure we have any youth LB who are ripping up the NPL.

CB has got to be the biggest priority. I reckon Wilko’s done at the end of this season. Donachie hasn’t done enough consistently to warrant a contract extension. Warland is under contract but not up to starting regularly for a title-winning team. So we will likely need two new good CBs. If one or both has to be foreign, so be it, but we can’t have this group of CBs go around for another season. Mlinaric should really be retained as a squaddie option, or better if he can have an amazing off-season.

For CM/DM we could have Brattan, Yazbek and a crocked Nieuwenhof. I’d feel better if we got another starting CM/DM, but if Yazbek can keep improving, the DM position is his to lose. If we don’t keep Hof or we can’t keep him fit, we need someone else who is at minimum a squaddie.

For wide players, we have Burgess (who can also play as a #10) and Kamsoba (who can also play as a striker). We need more than that. For AM, we have Caceres. We should also keep Segecic as he seems quite promising and we need to give him more game time. I love Ninko but I don’t see him going around another season.

Up front, we really need to keep Wood, and ALF is contracted for next season. So really we need a much better #9. Hate to say it, but the bodies of ALF and Bobo are both done.

So we need a minimum of six players to fill the spots of players I did not mention above.

When you are on top you can’t just remain static, you need to keep striving, advancing and evolving. I feel like we just took our dominance for granted. When we failed at the ACL level we should have pushed to go even further. Relying on ALF, Bobo, Kosta and Ninko in attack isn’t really evolving, its lazy and it’s comfortable.

The recruitment across the backline has been even lazier. All this while we are seemingly producing some of the best talent in the country. City just has a better plan on and off the field and to be fair just have the backing that is beyond us.

1 Like

If it weren’t for Brattan doing an ACL against Olympic in the Cup, we probably would be half as shit. I blame Brattan!

I actually put this season down to having way too many injuries. If anything let’s start with an audit of our S&C before jumping on Corica.

1 Like

S&C is a valid question. but Corica does have some capable players in the squad still. For example we still had a strong bench tonight which is a gauge of a good squad. He just decided to empty it out in a weird way.

We have a disjointed, merry go round, old squad. Title winning teams keep, near enough their best XI on the park week in week out. We had too many key players miss a good chunk of pre/early season which is when I’ve always believed titles are won.

Corica would just be moving chess pieces around trying to do something different to make it click.

This did also seem like the game we actually needed Paulo’s grunt work, and Burgess’s ability to hold the ball (if Ninko couldn’t start).

Poor rotation imo. We needed those two tonight way more than we’ll need them at Bluetongue (when they probably will start now).

1 Like

Yeah keeping both Milos and Baby John (I’m gonna keep at this until it sticks or the lad retires) on the bench was weird. Burgess looked eager when he came on, even if it wasn’t quite happening for him.

Retre gives us nothing much and would be well behind a 34 yo Rostyn Griffiths at City. And those saying Ninko is done have not been watching SFC much in recent weeks.

Ninko isn’t done but there’s no way he’d be on the same coin for another year.

A marquee midfielder or striker needs to come in.

A new stadium to boot and a range of new players will give this club a kick up the backside it needs.

I’m over this bs of we had to have a bad year.

Says who?

Wilko and quite a few others need to step aside.

Who does the recruiting for Syd Fc?

It can’t be that hard to bring in some quality next year.

?

= Max Burgess

2 Likes

Yeah that must be from well before my time!

1 Like

Two strikers unmarked inside the 6 yard box for the second goal.
Where’s Wilko? Standing on the penalty spot with his hand up.

There was another incident 5-10 minutes later where he’s stood there with his arm up after Talbot(?) looked to be fouled. The referee belatedly blew his whistle but for a while it looked as though he was going to be caught out in the same manner as he had just been.

I haven’t seen the highlights or mini match or any of that. Is there any point me watching?