Round 22 - City vs Sydney FC - 6/04/22

Looked like he’d been on the powder at half time

I feel the same as you’ve posted, the hugely disappointing thing is how close we actually were to them last season (1 point in the end, that game at Leichhardt) and that we probably would’ve rolled them in the big dance if Bratts didn’t dive in.

The chasm between the sides now is Grand Canyon-esque.

Yeah, and if we’re gonna have a shit year I’d much rather it not be first one in the new digs.

1 Like

In a positive spin, how shit are the wanderers that they couldn’t beat us.

10 Likes

That’s the weird thing with last season though right? We looked like we were running on fumes and everyone else around us kind of fell in a hole a bit.

This is a massive consideration in my opinion. There will be a buzz next season being in the new stadium. If we’re shit that will fucking evaporate so fast.

2 Likes

My excuse for Corica is that we also gambled on an older team and the fixture list has been cruel. The ACL thrown in would probably have finished us even if we were higher up the table now and looking decent. If we got the usual 1 week rest between games I think the gap is a lot smaller at least.

The covid thing was always on the cards and ACL was always on the cards.

Prior preperation and planning prevents poor performance.

1 Like

Giving Corica next season is like all of those clubs that continue giving Jose Mourinho a job thinking he’s changed.
I’ve seen nothing in Corica to think that he has the ability to change anything. It’s been clear for a long time that what we’re doing isn’t working. He has the players at his disposal now to change things up yet he continues to go with the same tactical plan.

3 Likes

Just joking around…I feel I’ve said it a few times this season but giving points felt impossible tonight.

Every single team in the league has had a tough schedule, though. It was always going to be a gamble regardless to rely on three players aged 37 to carry the team, when in reality they need to be looked after over the course of a season. Wilko has played nearly every game, Ninkovic is still starting a heap of games, and Bobo is lucky if he can play more than a half at a time. I don’t see it as bad luck. I see it more as bad management. Bad luck is losing Brattan before the start of the season, but not this.

1 Like

Two championships and a premiership.

I don’t think anyone expected this season to be as disrupted as last season. When in fact it’s been even worse. Sticking with players from past seasons who were older but successful wasn’t a bad idea if the season goes back to normal. That didn’t happen and it’s hurt us massively.

I’m happy to let him have next season.

2 Likes

Corica just looks devoid of ideas on how to improve the team, let alone motivate them when the chips are down. There seems to be little effort to encourage the players when the heads drop.

PK might shout a lot and appear to perform interpretative dance, but he’s seeing how his players can improve even where they’re 4-0 up.

When plan A doesn’t work, he seemingly has no plan B. This has been apparent for a while now. We seem to have lost a sense of direction and Bimbi doesn’t either have the knowledge to turn things around.

I don’t want him removed and sacked for the sake of things, but I don’t see anything changing much next season. Happy for him to have another go, but I don’t think he’s the sort of manager who can build a squad capable of bringing us to competing in the top 2 or 3. Since he took over the squad, all of his signings have been gap fillers.

1 Like

A disrupted season has nothing to do with the performance of the side.
Not changing anything tactically for the last 3 years is what the issue is.
If Corica could do it he would have by now.

2 Likes

He inherited the best team in the comp and managed it’s decline as the rest of the league figured us out and we’ve been significantly passed by a number of teams.

He’s set us up the same way all 4 years and is increasingly shoehorning the wrong players into his rigid system.

His past success, whilst appreciated, had to be taken in context.

How you can see anything in his history that says he can put a team on the park next season that will win trophies is like magic to me.

6 Likes

How was he at fault for any of tonight’s goals?

He can’t stop a left back shooting from out wide, he can’t be blamed for the right back being out jumped , he can’t be blamed for the person who is supposed to be covering him while he is committed forward from letting the striker who had barely had a kick all night run through the middle unopposed and he can’t be blamed for his CB partner being beaten all ends up.

He’s past his absolute best sure, and the team needs to be rejuvenated but he’s the least of the problems at the moment.

Can’t even be bothered for goo feasting, just bring on the ACL already.

1 Like

My internet is down so missed the game - just saw the goals replayed. City were a mile better than us on a couple of other occasions due to looking a lot fitter, hungrier and better coached. The king is dead, long live the king?
Once again, our decline is not related to aging players, but to many very good players who make an inferior team. We had a young team out there tonight apart from Wilko who, most matches, is our best defender, and Alf, who people tell me worked like crazy.
Melb City had an ‘old’ team (not by my standards but by the standards of many on here):
Starters: Griffiths 34, Good 29, Jenkinson 30, Berenguer 33, Leckie 31, Nabbout 29, Maclaren 28; Subs including Jamo 33 and Reis 31. But everyone here seems to see Melb C running us off the park through their fast, high press. This is fitness training, player selection and tactical coaching and we appear to have dipped a lot on all three this year. And Melb C are this good even after losing Atkinson (a vastly better footballer than King)
Kisnorbo seems a much tougher-minded and hungrier coach with no whiff of the bastardry surrounding eg Rudan. Would Kisnorbo - ever - start a Kosta, Caceres or Retre or a Buhaghiar? None are hardworking or dynamic enough, none have anywhere near enough end product. Would he ever use a Bobo - 2022 edition?

I was always a great supporter of Bimbi - any other club would dream of 3 GFs in a row, and winning 2 of them and playing attractive football. I am not so sure now. His major weakness has been his team selections; and he does not seem to have learnt much but rather has stubbornly dug in.

1 Like

No, last season was gambling on an older team. This was doubling down our entire winnings and throwing the house in for another hand.

2 Likes

Just did a performance art recreation of that game.

It took three flushes.

2 Likes

Yep. Remember Bobo left, got older, then we brought him back.