Round 7 - Sydney FC vs Brisbane - 20/2/21

A pretty important game given the form Brisbane are in. It’ll be interesting to see how a full fortnight gaps between our games will go.

We’ve officially earmarked Saturday’s match against Brisbane Roar for Bobo’s return

Is this the start of our game every 3 days marathon? Was mentioned in another thread of something along these lines.

Hard to tell, there’s only two games scheduled after this, Heart away on Tuesday 23rd and Macarthur on Sunday week. There’s bound to be a logjam of games at some stage but.

A good fucking tap-in incoming this week.

3 Likes

Match Squad:

Sydney FC squad: 1.Andrew REDMAYNE (gk), 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN, 3.Ben WARLAND, 4.Alex WILKINSON (c), 5.Alex BAUMJOHANN, 6.Ryan McGOWAN, 8.Paulo RETRE, 9.BOBÔ, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 11.Kosta BARBAROUSES, 16.Joel KING, 17.Anthony CACERES, 18. Luke IVANOVIC, 20.Tom HEWARD-BELLE (gk), 23.Rhyan GRANT, 25. Callum TALBOT, 26.Luke BRATTAN, 27.Jordan SWIBEL, 28.Calem NIEUWENHOF, 33.Pat WOOD.

2-4 to be omitted

Ins: 2. Patrick FLOTTMANN (promoted), 9. BOBÔ (promoted), 18. Luke IVANOVIC (promoted).

Outs: 19. Chris ZUVELA (knee – indefinite)

Unavailable: 7.Michael ZULLO (calf – 1 weeks), 12.Trent BUHAGIAR (knee – 2 weeks), 21.Harry VAN der SAAG (ankle – 1 week), 30.Adam PAVLESIC (GK) (indefinite – collarbone).

I love how they sneak in these SFCU in-jokes.

Hopefully it’s “7. Jacob TIMPANO (calf - 1 weeks)” next time!

6 Likes

And the no.9 shirt goes back to … BOBO!

1 Like

So what do we reckon in terms of starting strikers? I personally can’t see Bobo starting having not played a game in ages, so I think we might stick with Wood and Kosta. The other issue is that we play on Tuesday so we might want to have Bobo come on late here then play 60 minutes on Tuesday night.

1 Like

I think Wood keeps his spot. His contribution in the lead-up to the opener was good, I liked seeing him make that space for himself to get off that shot (which he dragged wide) when Niewenhoff played him in, and most importantly Kosta looked much more comfortable playing off a ‘real’ striker rather than another converted wide-forward/winger in Trent.

It’ll be interesting to see how Bobô goes when he comes on. TBH I would’ve been surprised if someone told me in 2018 when he left that he’d still be a high performing striker in 2021, but maybe the reduced standard of the lower salary cap will work in his favour.

If he can regularly put in a good 60-70 minutes, and Wood can productively top up another 20-30, we should be good.

I made this observation last week in the match thread too - obviously more to the story with Zullo than what’s being disclosed. They should start listing him as ‘indefinite’ tbh.

Anyway - think Bobo will start with Wood coming off the bench for him around the 60th minute.

I think Wood will start this game with Bobo coming on after 65/70 mins and the reverse to happen for the Heart game.

Other thing is who drops off. Its more than likely Swibel which seems really harsh when hes got 2 assists in his last two appearances and if anything should be getting more game time.

I don’t think Swibel actually has an assist yet. Certain that ball to Wood at Campbelltown was actually played by the defenders toe, and the flick on to Kosta was even more certainly an assist by De Vere.

almost the perfect day for football, but trackwork on the waterfall line. Hopefully still get a large vocal crowd

1 Like

Welcome home sweet Prince.

9 Likes

Still can’t believe he scored 40 odd tap ins

3 Likes

4 Likes

If Kosta was scoring 40 odd tap ins with the time we have had him, i’d be ejaculating positivity.

So it’s confirmed Wood is starting & Bobo off the bench…
that Twitter post of him arriving to the stadium: cool as a cucumber :cucumber: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::laughing: