Sack the Board: the Cricket thread I

With over 200 runs in a 4th innings, this has to count as a overwhelming moral victory for this shit-show of a batting line up, right?

99 required…

Argh. Stepped away from my desk for a moment. Knew we’d lose a wicket. Sorry everyone.

No, it was cos I went to pick up the kid from school… I knew I should have said no to the missus.

Unlucky to come up just short. It just goes to show that the lower order has way more bottle than the top half. I wouldn’t have expected us to get so close when we were 6/156.

So many what ifs and we could have got the win. Should never have gotten so close. Now weve got to win 2 of the next 3. Batsman really need to stand up (but weve been saying that for a few years)

Yep, lots of opportunities to get control in the match and we missed each one. Interesting to see how the Perth pitch plays in the new stadium. Hopefully still has some Waca character to it.

Bowlers averaging more with the bat than the batsman

Started well but Khawaja went cheaply not long ago. Another middle-order batsman who continues to fail.

FMD we have some absolutely brain-dead middle-order batsmen.

Some of the shot selection in this and the last test absolutely defies belief. I pick better shots after a half dozen cans on a Saturday in 40 degree heat.

1 Like

Is it even a Perth test without the Fremantle doctor rolling in for the last session?

Considering how much better the tail has been batting than the top and middle order, we should post a decent total this innings…

This is an extraordinary field to put out for the number 9 and 10 batsmen. Lyon and Starc look like they could just knock singles around all day.

Imagine how good India could be if they actually had a good captain.

Starc couldn’t help himself in the end but if he kept his head, 350 was possible. Nonetheless, still a fairly good first innings total given the variable bounce on this pitch.

Minutes away from stumps. Travis Head flashes at a wide, short delivery and gets caught at third man. Good going, dickhead :rage:

I think there will be some looking into replacing Handscomb for the next Test especially if Australia manage to let this one slip. I would prefer to see him retained but he might be the one they sacrifice to strengthen the middle order.

I would have Joe Burns in there for either Handscomb or Marsh as quickly as possible. Matthew Wade has been really cracking on brilliantly this season with the bat, maybe being freed up from keeper duties has enabled him to successfully focus his batting.

Even Henriques is having a great Shield season. Any of those three could do as good a job or better as Handscomb and Marsh.

Burns got absolutely robbed and should have been in over Harris (Burns has averaged around 50 over the last two shield seasons) and should be in for Handscomb and drop Finch down but they’ll most likely drop Handscomb and bring back Mitch Marsh

Harris has earned his spot and has done well enough to stick around, I think. Burns was unlucky to miss out but not totally robbed of a spot at least by Harris.

Not saying Harris hasn’t done ok but more than a dude averaging 50 for the two shield seasons should be the next man in. Burns was hard done by rather than Harris undeserving

Even though we’re losing a lot of wickets now, the pitch’s gremlins are coming out in plain sight. 250 is going to be really tough to chase down.