Scrap the Cap - your ideas

If you scraped the cap right now they’d all be broke come the next t.v. deal

I’ve always liked the idea of a cap that is based on revenue or like baseball that has the luxury tax. For me the cap is about protecting teams who can’t afford it from overspending more than the equality of the league.

I hate the fact Matt Jurman will probably end up at WSW because we can’t offer him a contract of any value.

It’s such a complicated issue.
I used to be super pro the cap because of the dangers of clubs over exposing themselves to debt. I’ve softened on that now as most of the clubs have been around long enough to know what their limits are and if they go beyond that then it’s on them.
So then do we scrap the cap? Another worry then grips me. The clubs with bigger money bags would then be able to pay overs for Australian players to keep them away from the smaller clubs. That being said, the rich club can’t afford to sit on a massive squad so they would need to loan out their least favoured players which means the minnow clubs may be able to get decent players with some of their wages being paid by the richer clubs…
I’m rambling on but yeah I can’t get a landing on where I sit in relation to the Cap/No Cap scenario.

1 Like

Guess this is a cap thread and this is related to cap and transfer fees

Does PFA even have veto power in the new league body?

https://amp.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/aleague-news-ffa-set-for-standoff-with-players-over-cap-cuts/news-story/6f02adabd1fa0a62d84c7d3e05e8d002?__twitter_impression=true

More scrap the cap talk. As a long time pro cap who doesn’t want just us and city winning every season, the current cap isn’t working and with the added financial pressures the only real options seem to be either drop the salary floor or remove the cap completely

Link didn’t work for me, but this does: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/aleague-news-ffa-set-for-standoff-with-players-over-cap-cuts/news-story/6f02adabd1fa0a62d84c7d3e05e8d002?__twitter_impression=true

I’m from the formerly pro cap camp, but yeah, get rid of it. More importantly, and much more easily, remove the ridiculous restrictions on transfers in the league. I can’t believe those are still around. Does anyone have any justification for them in the first place, let alone keeping them on now.

pretty sure they were there to stop the big clubs from purchasing all the best players? But not sure as it’s stupid with a salary cap, plus it removes a source of revenue for smaller clubs. That and all that happens is players are simply leaving contracts early instead of being bought by Aussie clubs.

1 Like

Transfer fees may be a source of revenue for clubs but is it really going to make much of a difference in most cases? I’m almost certain the answer is no. Only the most rare of cases will result in money of $1m or more changing hands. I believe Awer Mabil holds the A-League transfer record when he moved to Denmark for about $1.4m. Only Melbourne City might threaten that record with a domestic transfer.

For me, this whole scenario works best if and when A-League clubs decide to seriously invest in their youth structures. Better coaching and better facilities for them and the youth players to work in. Only then will we see transfer fees that are going to be potentially life-changing for any A-League club. They’ll just be losing too much money with less TV money available next season.

1 Like

Whats the point of investing time and money into youth when, the moment they’re looking half decent, they walk out at the end of their contract to another club and potentially screw you over. Having transfer fees will allow clubs to offer longer contracts to youth players and then get paid for their investment.

Incoming foreign transfer fees are so low in large part because there is no established domestic transfer market, and also because salary cap pressures prevent clubs from signing players on longer-term contracts.

Suppose someone showed up and offered like $500k for Ryan McGowan today (lets say J2 or Malaysia or Romania or something equivalently unremarkable; he’s indifferent between staying or going, it’s up to the club).

Perhaps we decide that he’s far too important to the campaign and turn it down. But TBH, we may well choose to accept it. We’re unlikely to ever get a better offer for him, we might back Flottman to do fine for the remainder of the season (as we have for Retre for O’Neill, and Calver last year), and know we can pretty well replace him for free with whoever is a free agent at the end of the season when literally half the league is off-contract.

But what if (a) we knew that we could easily offload him for $300k at any time to like Adelaide or Brisbane or something, (b) there are few if any good free-agents coming up because the average contract length for a starter has increased from 1-2 years to 3-5 years - and we might actually have to pay a couple of hundred thousand of that fee for a DeVere or Jurman or something to replace him? Suddenly that $500k is nowhere near as exciting, and we’d almost certainly hold out for more.

2 Likes