Semi Final - Sydney FC vs Perth - 26/08/2020

Happier with this match up than the alternative.

I’m curious what Corica settles on in midfield. Retre is a more solid option but Caceres does add a bit more flair.

Also any word on Zullo?

Would love for us to do to this semi-final opponent what we did to the last one.

Unfortunately, given our recent form I fear it will be more like :baguette_bread::peach:

Perth have won 2 of the last 6. We’ve won 1 of our last 6 (but 0 of out last 5). Neither team are in form and youd be thinking the winner of the other semi would be favourites.

Likely to be a low scoring game so hopefully we can take whatever chances come our way

We’re gonna get arse blasted.

2 Likes

Can see it being nil all and going to penalties.

Having both semi finals on as a double header is pretty good.

Is our defense playing well enough to keep a clean sheet given the attacking power Perth have? I’d say a 2-2 is more likely.

“Attacking power” might be overstating it a bit.

Popovic has a particular plan for elimination finals.

Plan is push early for a goal then park it

2 Likes

We need more Reza

2 Likes

Nap time!

I’d be more inclined to leave Ninko on the bench and use Caceres and Retre , they will try to kick the crap out of Ninko , so save him for later in the game ?
it’s a bit out of left field but Poppa will be relishing the thought to boot Ninko out of the stadium. just a thought.

We looked so much worse when Ninko didn’t play the other day. I can’t see any line-up that doesn’t include him.

I agree we sparked up when Ninko came on but I just think back when Poppa was managing the grubs at Western Sydney , he was happy to see his hit men play the man all day , not a bit of football. I’d hate to see Ninko get carried off after 10 minutes .

Even though Popovic’s tactics are glaringly obvious I don’t really see us overcoming the press considering how bad we’ve been going forward in recent weeks. Very likely to see the front 4 very isolated and unable to create much if Perth are disciplined. And we are likely to concede at least 1 goal because we’ve been making too many mistakes defensively.

2 Likes

The Sky Blues will likely be without leftback Michael Zullo for the finals series after the Australian international suffered a hamstring injury. He has been ruled out of the match against Perth and is in doubt to play in the decider, should Sydney reach it.

That’s a pretty huge out but at least King has shown he’s capable enough at this level. It’s just going to narrow our attacking options which may be a real issue.

A lot rests on Grant now.

1 Like

Anyone’s tickets available yet?

The email I got said they’d be held back until Monday, but I’m still getting the “check back later” message.

1 Like

I’m getting the same message as you

I just had a quick look at the table to cheer myself up by confirming that MV and Wests finished 2nd and 3rd last, and it had a last 5 games form widget, which revealed that this final is a match up by the worst 2 form sides of the comp. Us on 2 points and Perth (level with MV) on 3. The next worst team - the Mariners - bagged 5 points in their last 5.

Based on that, it’s going to be a high-scoring feast of champagne/liquid football (insert other cliches as you like).