Squad Speculation Thread 2018/19

Difference between being in the squad and playing a major role though yeah?

Doesn’t seem like a squaddie signing to me.

Reckon? Dropping your marquee would be a bold move.

I’d say Van der Linden would be the weak link foreigner-wise…

Always thought Caceres was a tidy player at A-League level, but he plays in that attacking midfield position. An area we already have Ninko. De Jong and Da Silva covering.

I’ll be happy with this signing if it doesn’t limit our abilities to add some width and pace to the squad. However, it could be a little short sighted if that is all the business we do in January.

I think it can work like with Holosko. He’s injury prone and maybe better kept doing less travel and sticking to one game a week.

I know Jops got his doubters but not going with him does leave us very light at the back and after regretting leaving out Buijs last time it may point to keeping him around. We’d have Wilkinson Calver Warland (who wouldn’t be match fit) and Tratt (if we can keep him around).

Where as if we leave out Siem, Caceres gives us that extra depth

What about leaving out Siem to prevent his injuries flaring up? I can’t see him flying long distances doing great things to his body.

Corica just mentioned that we’re looking at a few Asian forwards to fill that striking role. Also said that it won’t necessarily be a quick player but maybe a target man.

Mentioned SDJ could move up next to ALF to allow Brosque to rest with 6 games in January.

1 Like

And said they should have someone confirmed in 1-2 weeks.

Has any club ever actually been linked to O’Neill? All we ever hear is European interest but never any details about actual clubs.

QPR and Villa I think have been specifically mentioned.

1 Like

A target man would be a good investment and would give us a legitimate plan B which could be helpful.

I have faith in TMAC and Corica to get the striker right - they’ve done very good stuff over the years with foreigners. Only Jop has been poor out of all players recruited for this season.

Would personally prefer a target man, as it’d allow ALF to worry less about being a hold up man and focus more on being our pacy finisher.

1 Like

How much would we have left in the cap? With Caceres likely not on minimum wage with his previous moves suggesting he cares for the dollars, I’m wondering if we have enough for decent player that is capable of starting in Asia.

My understanding is that, since Melbourne took the piss with Troisi and Rogic outside the cap that one year, the rule was changed so that loan players would have to take up at least 50% of their salary at the parent club.

The best bit about MV taking the piss that one season that it did exactly nothing to help them in any way. In fact it probably made things worse.

1 Like

Anybody know of any good Asian strikers who are free agents. I can’t think of any off the top of my head, I’ll have to have a look on transfermarket later tonight

1 Like

And a target men at that. Sounds West Asian which is pretty uncharted waters …

Okazaki isn’t playing with Leicester…

He’s not really a target man tho but would be a great buy

I seem to remember us being linked with him a couple of years ago.

There’s no way we’re fitting him under the cap.