Squad Speculation Thread 2018/19

Just watching Corica’s press conference, he said that we are down to a shortlist of 3-4 foreign players and he hopes to know for sure in the next couple of days. He’s confirmed that all of they players are foreign but none of them are Asian:
https://www.a-league.com.au/video/full-press-conference-steve-corica-10

No announcement today…

SFCU misled me? Quelle surprise.

“Everyone working hard on scouring the market but in keeping with what Steve has always said he will only bring in a player if it will strengthen the squad.” - Danny Townsend’s Twitter. Hopefully this isn’t him hinting at no transfer going ahead.

We’re signing Adebayo Akinfenwa!

1 Like

How about some ‘forward’ planning?

Just quietly, Cavani would kill it in this league.
He’d also be asking for as much $$$ as the rest of the league combined, including marquees.
Also, I know you’re kidding.

1 Like

So what do we reckon happens with Ninko once his contract expires at the end of this season? He’s now 34, and he’s been noticeably below his usual high standard this season.

Would he accept a contract in-cap? It seems like he loves Australia but it’d be a big pay cut.

Renewing him as a marquee would be silly to my mind.

His contract expires at the end of 2019/20.

Yep sorry, I’d totally forgotten he renewed at the end of last year.

I have a huge amount of love for Milos but it’d be a little concerning to have him continue to take up a marquee spot next year if his slowdown is a permanent one.

Or the coach could try and use him in a role where we get the best out of his talents and rely less on him to do the defensive legwork which he’s increasingly less suited to, though to his credit he never shirks.

1 Like

I love that he has said that he wants to serve out the rest of his career with us. Is he close to getting citizenship?

This. He’s actually playing very well this season, but his current role has him too far from goal for the most part.

Ray Gatt reporting that Western Suburbs are set to sign Mitch Duke, so he’s not an option anymore.

Can clubs use injury replacement signings for marquees? Not looking good for De Jong and if he is gone, we are well short in the attacking department.

I don’t see why not. Might be hard to line someone up, but at least we’ve got a week of the transfer window left.

If Joyce wasn’t an arsehole he would release fornaroli and buy his own striker

Pretty sure we’ve already been there and talked about it but I don’t think Fornaroli would work out so well. Too similar to Le Fondre. Seems a bit volatile as well and I’m not convinced yet that Corica can deal with such a character. In the last few years we’ve been pretty good at dealing with any dressing room unrest. Let’s not ruin it. I’m sure we can find a good striker to accompany Le Fondre from somewhere else. Someone who is better in the air and can hold the ball up, and move the ball on effectively to Le Fondre.

You can hear him scream mid air. Poor bloke. Berger has to get on the blower asap with only a week to go.

Bobo would be available right? ALF could play off him in the Brosquey role.