Squad Speculation Thread 2018/19

“It’s all hands on deck as Sydney look to bring in replacement”

In all seriousness though , hows the timeline from SMH?
Oct 24: FC’s waiting till January
Oct 25: They’re trialling a Spanish guy who could be the answer!

Is the mature aged rookie still a thing and would Alex Sanchez fit the requirements? I’m not to worried about using the visa spot as quite a few Australians will become available with the end of the regular AFC season should we need further reinforcements. Mature aged rookie would allow cap space for this.

I think it’s still a thing but it’s been used about 5 times. He’s been really prolific for Olympic and done well in the Segunda. Also a genuine goal scorer. If he does well in the trial I’d be excited to see how he goes

Starting to wonder if putting such a reliance on DeJong and DaSilva - two such crocked players - was a good idea…

1 Like

I think that De Silva and De Jong were both fully fit before last nights game but Steve was resting them for the FFA Cup final. However, two games into the regular season with one currently injured one whose only just returned, it could lead to some problems towards the end of the season when AFC Champions League fixtures pile up.

The changes in the conditioning staff may prove bigger than we realised.

1 Like

Bit early to call that. If they were 2 players without a history of these injuries then yes you could draw that conclusion but, especially in De Jong’s case, is probably just a continuation of their injury curse. Mind you Ninko also looked proppy after the game last night and struggled to get over the hordings.
I’m a little more concerned at the 3 serious knee injuries that have occurred at training in the last 12 months. Did they occur in a similar manner or were they 3 completely different freak accidents? Did they occur on the same surface (grass, concrete etc) or in a particular area of the training pitch?

1 Like

I’m guessing last night’s injury would mean that Spanish lad on trial may be able to score a.contract - certainly it makes sense to give him one until January, and tell him that if he does fine he stays on. Can you do a short contract like that?Al

Also, I haven’t seen a definite word on Zuvela’s injury. Is it long term? He really impressed me last season.

Looks like something will have to be done to replenish the squad soon. Seem to be losing a player a week at the moment!

Is Sanchez still trialling?

If he is, I guess he may be able to play in the NYL so we might hear something this weekend (not sure if this is allowed under the regs though).

Can’t remember where I read it, newspaper report somewhere, but he is no longer trialling with us.

From SMH today - apparently we were looking at Kagawa and are now pursuing alternative options:

1 Like

Man, that would be epic.

What’s the bit about Jop being absent from training?

Cheers.

Member Email from club:

Click here to hear from Jacob Tratt on his return to the Sky Blues.

Sydney FC have confirmed the signing of former Sky Blues youth team captain Jacob Tratt on a short-term injury replacement contract.

The 24-year old defender will provide extra defensive cover for Steve Corica’s men following a foot injury to centre-half Ben Warland last month.

Tratt skippered Sydney FC’s Foxtel Youth League squad to the 2014 Championship and claimed the title again two years later, as a member of the Hyundai A-League 2015-16 squad.

He joined Wellington Phoenix the following season before returning to captain the Sutherland Sharks in the NSW NPL 1 last year.

He will re-join the Sky Blues following a successful trial and is overjoyed to be returning to where it all began.

“I’m very happy to be back and to have all my family and friends around me, being family orientated, is a blessing,” said Tratt.

“To be able to play for the biggest club in the country and to be surrounded by family and friends, I couldn’t be happier.

“You can see that everyone at the club has purpose to what they are doing every day and you feed off that mentally.

“I would like to get some game time and show what I’ve got and eventually extend that contract.”

Head Coach Steve Corica, who coached and installed Tratt as skipper during the successful 2013-14 youth league Championship season, is delighted to welcome him back to the club.

“Jacob is an excellent player and will fit into our winning culture and strengthen our defensive options,” he said.

“I’ve known him for a number of years now and he is a fantastic person who is fully deserving of this opportunity to be a part of our squad.”

Tratt will wear the number 18.

Solid cover, probably won’t get a game. I quite like Tratt as a squaddie at this level.

Nice that if were signing injury replacements theyre still former players. Not sure a fan of it and would rather we promote youth players but Im oaky with this.