Squad speculation thread 2019/20

3 average games after winning the league at a canter and we need mass changes?

Dont ever change SFCU.

9 Likes

I guess we have to ask if Buhagiar is ready to start yet or if his success is inflated by him coming on late against tired legs. I’m not convinced he is at a level where he’d be starting a season for a club at our level.

The Feasting of the Goo

I feel like, making one change isn’t exactly “mass changes” but i guess if you’re comfortable with that amount of hyperbole, that fine I guess - we can work around that… But, I’d say that Brandon O’Neill arguably had more to do with this championship than Kosta has. And we just haven’t replaced him.

I mean, its not exactly come out of nowhere. Kosta has ranged between poor and reasonable all season. I think people have been patient with him, if anything. We’re waiting for him to fire - but its clearly not happening.

Now, maybe we simply can’t offload him. I tend to think someone out there would want him and we could get mutual. But he’s taking up a visa slot and marquee spot(?). And he’s simply not justifying it. Maybe we can carry him though. I assume we’ve got a bit of cap space left after Brandon (who must have been on decent money) left?

3 Likes

Totally.

I don’t think starting Buhagiar would be ideal, yet. It doesn’t suit the team or the player, at this point.

Unverified rumour and could be total fluff, but there’s word that Tilio -> City.

At the very least, safe to assume he wont be with us next season as there’s been no talk of an extended deal beyond this season.

You’d think he backs himself to be the next Arzani. Trust that we’ve tried but he knows he can’t get ahead of Ninko or ABJ as a starter.

We have Barbarouses, Buhagier, Ivanovic, Swibel and Tilio it seemed like we’d lose at least one of them. Would be sad to lose him as he’d been hyped for a long time but if he gets more game time all the best to him. Its a totally understandable move and hopefully its more a Devlin type more rather than Calver/Tratt.

That would suck and I doubt he’ll get more game time there but good luck to him. Unfortunately he’s not going to get any more game time with us, as much as I’d love it.

Would be very disappointed if he left. He seems to be the youngster with the highest potential. I’m also not that fussed on Baumjohan, so I see a pathway there for him.

Arzanis and Iredales will always exist. If we want to win the league every year there will be experienced pros blocking opportunities for young kids and some kids won’t hang around. Its a sign of a healthy 1st XI and youth system.

City is a strange choice if that’s where he goes. Decent facilities but not a heap of kids have come through.

I can believe this. That he isn’t listed as injured, but misses out on a spot to Ivanović (who is behind Kosta/Buhagiar on the bench) and Nieuwenhof (who is behind Zuvela) on a bench which has no natural back-up for LAM/RAM, seems telling.

It’s a shame because he’d offer MUCH more in that position than Ivanović IMO.

Well, if it does happen, i hope he does as well as Devlin has at the Nix.

Looking forward to seeing the Socceroos be filled with Sydney youth in 5-10 years.

He has great potential with the ball, but I don’t see him going anywhere past an above average aleague player. His size in conjunction with his lack of pace mean he can be nullified fairly easily by a semi competent defence.

They haven’t got a bad track record for giving younger players a go during recent times.

Wales, Genreau, Atkinson, Najjar, Metcalfe, Najjarine this season. McGree, Arzani, Mauk of seasons gone by. Not too bad and it seems like they’re shifting more towards youth/younger players, but I do agree that it’s an odd choice but would be better than heading up to the Mariner’s or taking a lucky dip with Macarthur.

Not seeing or reading his name anywhere during these last few games definitely does say he’s off elsewhere come next season.

Can we get Burgess back sometime soon? An out and out AM to replace eg ABJ when he goes. It was a real shame to lose him (like Devlin) after having never really had a proper chance.

May be an unpopular opinion, but I’d be looking to let go Barbarouses. For all the hype, 8 goals all season isn’t the best return for his wages and pedigree.

2 Likes

Not sure if that’s an unpopular opinion, but realistically he would be tough to shift given he’s got 2 more years on his deal.
We can do the Poppa freeze out, but that kind of behaviour from a club is detrimental to culture.

Kosta is 10th for goal scored this year & 5th for assists, y’all are some hard markers.

1 Like

We got Kosta cos he was chasing 700kpa on a multi year deal for family/security reasons. Why would he leave?