Squad speculation thread 2020/21

Makes sense, Swibel was never getting ahead of Wood and Flottman needs first tram football.

I liked Swibel’s attitude. I hope another A-League team picks him up

2 Likes

Reckon Jordi is def good enough. Ripped up the NYL and NPL and showed great glimpses. Mariners or Jets would work well for him. Must have been an awkward father/son discussion though…

1 Like

Yup he had that little spell where he has those two assists (well one was a deflection) and chance at the back end of a game where he did everything right bar the finish but then fell off the bench with Alf Bobo returning Wood taking the chances and Ivanovic getting some good cameos. There definitely seemed flashes of a player there but he’s 22 so might need to go the dominate NPL or a south east Asia move and hope for the best.

Flottman never really got a chance but was nice having an academy prospect around. It probably opens up a spot on the roster for Mlinaric.

Hope Swibel gets a gig at another HAL club, definitely talent there.

1 Like

The contracted list on the article is interesting. Hof listed as contracted next season.

“Sydney FC expect to make further additions to the A-League squad in the coming weeks, while the club also continues contract talks with Captain Alex Wilkinson, defender Ryan McGowan, strikers Bobô and Trent Buhagiar, goalkeeper Tom Heward-Belle and midfielder Chris Zuvela.”

So sounds like Hoff has signed on and Mlinaric is replacing Flottman. Also the forum is messing up the numbers so no King Ivanovic VVS arent wearing 7 9 10 now

Sydney FC Contracted A-League Squad 2021/22 Season

1. ANDREW REDMAYNE

2. BENJAMIN WARLAND

3. MICHAEL ZULLO

4. PAULO RETRE

5. MILOS NINKOVIC

6. KOSTA BARBAROUSES

7. JOEL KING

8. ANTHONY CACERES

9. LUKE IVANOVIC

10. HARRY VAN DER SAAG

11. RHYAN GRANT

12. CALLUM TALBOT

13. LUKE BRATTAN

14. CALEM NIEUWENHOF

15. ANTON MLINARIC

16. ADAM PAVLESIC (GK)

17. PATRICK WOOD

18. ADAM LE FONDRE

As good as he once was, and despite the fact that he’s still signed on for another 12 months, I think we should release Zullo. He’s been permanently broken, for a week at a time, for about a year now.

Joel King has really come leaps and bounds and now deserves to call the LB spot his own.

1 Like

Zero benefit in releasing contracted players unless they accept a paycut. Why would Zullo? Id rather treat him properly and maybe get some games out of him and potentially then letting him with a modicum of respect at contracts end.

2 Likes

Mlinarić is back from Dinamo Zagreb I assume? Sounds like he’s ahead of Flottman, hence the departure.

Interesting that Bobô seems unconfirmed too.

Assume Bobo will be announced soon, Corica mentioned he had re-signed during his post-GF presser.

I think (at least I think this is how it used to work) that long term injured players are both exempt from the cap and have their wages insured in some fashion? (The second part I’m less sure about).

So I think there’s either low to no downside to us keeping them on and assisting in their rehab, etc, plus - it’s just the gosh darn right thing to do, by a player.

It would be a rough precedent to start jettisoning long term injured players.

For me the most surprising part is the club still trying to retain Zuvela as a player.

I’m all for helping players come back but 2 acl’s, 7 games since 2017 and 25 years of age next season surely isn’t what we need long term.

Swibel I think will find it tough to find another a league side that gives him more game time.

Another Tilio story in the making

No chance - he doesn’t have half the talent that Tilio has

1 Like

Hope Flottman goes to Roar. Seems a good kid and with the younger English lad moving on they need players there

CONTRACTED FOR 2023/24

#17) Anthony Caceres
#99) Adam (Alfie) Le Fondre

CONTRACTED FOR 2022/23

#3) Ben Warland
#?) Max Burgess

CONTRACTED FOR 2021/22

#1) Andrew Redmayne
#7) Michael Zullo
#8) Paulo Retre
#10) Milos Ninkovic
#11) Kosta Barbarouses
#16) Joel King
#18) Luke Ivanovic
#21) Harry Van Der Saag
#23) Rhyan Grant
#25) Callum Talbot
#26) Luke Brattan
#28) Calem Nieuwenhof
#29) Anton Mlinaric
#30) Adam Pavlesic
#31) Luke Ivanovic

OUT OF CONTRACT

#4) Alex Wilkinson
#6) Ryan McGowan
#9) Bobô
#12) Trent Buhagiar
#19) Chris Zuvela
#20) Tom Heward-Belle
#24) Adrian Segecic
#32) Patrick Yazbek
#33) Pat Wood

DEFINITELY LEAVING

#2) Patrick Flottmann
#5) Alexander Baumjohann
#27) Jordan Swibel

Last Edited: 3 July 2021

Throw the kitchen sink at Wilko

Why not, there’s probably a spare one from ADP’s kitchenette lying around.

9 Likes

@Clovis - Do you want to start a new 21/22 thread with that as the intro? Always good to have that list in the first post.

Done

New Thread