Squad speculation thread 2020/21

That’s because they take it off Wikipedia, somebody has anonymously edited the page (without valid sources, so not a valid edit) and nobody cares enough to keep A-League wiki pages updated anymore.

1 Like

A bit sad to see Tilio go. I’ve loved watching him go through our youth system, he would just light up those games. Pity we’ll never see him realise his potential with us.

CONTRACTED FOR 2021/22

#1) Andrew Redmayne
#7) Michael Zullo
#8) Paulo Retre
#10) Milos Ninkovic
#11) Kosta Barbarouses
#12) Trent Buhagiar
#25) Joel King
#23) Rhyan Grant
#26) Luke Brattan
#31) Luke Ivanovic

CONTRACTED FOR 2020/21

#2) Patrick Flottmann
#3) Ben Warland
#4) Alex Wilkinson
#5) Alexander Baumjohann
#6) Ryan McGowan
#17) Anthony Caceres
#19) Chris Zuvela
#30) Tom Heward-Belle

POSSIBLY DEPARTING

#9) Adam (Alfie) Le Fondre

DEFINITELY LEAVING

#24) Marco Tilio

Last Edited: 11 September 2020

2 Likes

Looking at that list, you’d think wilko, Abj will be gone, and kosta too unless he takes a significant play cut or finds his scoring boots. Hopefully Warland, Gowser and Caceres re-sign. Flottman, Zuvela are probably gone, thb probably gets another year cos he’s a solid backup.

I don’t think Wilko is going anywhere. He’s 35 and still has a contract for next season, can’t see him or the club wanting to part ways. He was interviewed last week on TWG pod and was saying that he’s feeling good with is body and is keen to keep on playing.

1 Like

Is there a way of getting this list into the first post, or somehow flagging it so it’s easy to find?

Just noticed that you can bookmark the post - click on the three dots next to reply, then click on the bookmark. When you view the threads you’ll see a bookmark icon next to it, if you click on that it takes you straight to the bookmarked post.

2 Likes

I’ll edit it in

You mean after next season?

Wilko is also the players rep on the PFA. If he’s not playing after saying he’s coming back then it’s likely nobody is.

Wilko’s the President of the PFA.

1 Like

So just wondering, what’s the impact with all the negotiations about pay cuts for players and stuff like that cause of the reduced Fox revenue?

I mean, if we’ve got a bunch of guys under contract for next season and then salaries are meant to get changed, does that mean their contract’s no longer valid and they could just leave and play for another team?

I recon 90% of people that follow the a-league wouldn’t even know about the contract negotiations. I mean I’d say about 80% wouldn’t have known about the grand final…

1 Like

I’d say that’s probably pretty fair. I mean I don’t know any details… hence the question :slight_smile:

Just thinking out loud, if the clubs want to pay players less, are they only talking about out of contract players then? So when they sign their new deals the pay would be less… and everyone that already has a signed deal would keep their current pay?

I believe they are looking at reducing the salaries of contracted players too. Basically, if the player doesn’t agree then they will be free to leave. So you could see someone like ABJ decide to leave and pick up a contract overseas.

Once COVID hit, players took a 70% pay cut apparently, however they were topped up a bit by job keeper. That type of cut is obviously unsustainable, and I’m not sure if that factored in the season extension beyond May.

I thought that was fairly obvious since every player I talked about is contracted for next year…

1 Like

yeah it’s a pretty godawful situation for the players to be in.

Will certainly make next season interesting then because we’re basically talking about potential rebuilds from ground up for all the clubs (rather than coaches inheriting squads of their predecessors for example).

Remember too, our club is less dependent on the share coming from the Fox Sports contract. Apparently, it is only about 20% of our club’s income. So assuming that is true, SFC income drops about 10%. That hardly seems a cause of mass pay cuts for players. And our club is very good at tapping commercial sponsors so maybe they have something in train.

1 Like

I hadn’t heard that before - thanks

I don’t think there will be a mass exodus. Players will need to evaluate their options. Some of them will pick up contracts elsewhere, but for others it will be a matter of either taking a pay cut, or leaving and risking not being signed for another club at all. We’re not the only league that is struggling due to COVID.