The beer thread - New England Double IPA edition

Speaking of Bucket Boys:

https://www.groupon.com.au/deals/bucket-boys-craft-beer-co

There’s one for Sauce as well:

https://www.groupon.com.au/deals/sauce-brewing-co

1 Like

Double Taco for December 1!

I love the original from Two Birds, one of the pubs here had a couple of kegs on tap earlier in the year, so looking forward to it tonight.

I saw in an email that Beer Cartel were doing a launch and tapping the only keg of this is NSW at the Metropolitan in Sydney today, for those who are free.

Going to enjoy it on the road up to Gosford.

Yeah that’s a great beer, super keen to see how the double goes.

Heading to Hairyman brewery today.

Had a few of their beers. The Gose has a nice mild saltiness to it and was really refreshing. Very clean beer.

The Pop Soda is really bizarre. They brew it with creaming soda and it retains that flavour really well. A great sweetness and certainly one I’m sure non beer lovers would like. A genuinely unique experience.

I finished with their IXPA. It’s exactly what you expect. Very full bodied with a strong hoppy flavour of stone fruits.

Has anyone been doing a beer advent calendar this year? I’m curious to hear what beers people have had.

Yes - see above.
Doing the Beer Cartel one, and it’s been decent. They’ve sent out tasting notes and interviews with the brewers for each one each day, which is a really nice touch.

I got one of these for my mate for his birthday (but didn’t get one for myself). He’s been sending me daily photos and reviews hehe. Now I’m kicking myself for not buying one for myself at the same time. Next year…

My mate got one from Aldi from his family. The last two beers have been Budweiser and Tiger!

Oh god.

The Bucket Boys advent calendar gave me the Nomad Supersonic Gold Rush DIPA today. I’m normally not that into DIPAs but this one was great. It has strong malt flavours to balance the beer somewhat and, while the pint of it was probably more than I wanted (particularly at lunchtime), it was a great punchy beer.

Speaking of Nomad, the local bottle shop had “Coathanger Pale Ale” in the bargain bin. I’d never tried it so I thought I’d grab a six pack. It’s actually a beer that they make for a restaurant chain, and when I read that I was a bit disappointed and thought that it might be a bit sub-standard, but it’s really nice. Very smooth and non-offensive with a nice fruity aroma. It’s 5.0% which is great for a pale ale.

3 Likes

Just came back from a fantastic 6 days away in Port Stephens enjoying the perfect summer holiday weather. Mostly just chilled by the pool and checked out a few local beaches and neighbourhoods.

Went well stocked up with Pirate Life Pale Ale, Reschs Pilsner, Leffe blonde (for the missus), Little Creatures XPA and La Chouffe blonde.

But I’ve gotta say that I ended up enjoying the Reschs most, followed by Little Creatures. Pirate Life I only drank two tinnies from a six pack, and didn’t touch the La Chouffe.

As a bit of a beer snob, I don’t normally buy lager or pils for drinking at home, but they do go down really well poolside on a hot day.

Leffe Blonde is pretty all time IMO.

On Christmas day this year I had a variety of things but De Molen’s Rasputin Imperial Stout was the clear winner. Amazing chocolate flavours, and a big beer that was remarkably drinkable on a 30+ degree day.

I find lagers are infinitely more enjoyable with a heavier food. I don’t usually go for Zywiec, but f*ck me it tasted amazing xmas day with some ham and turkey with accompanying salads.

Quite a fan of Zywiec. Lagers definitely go better with some foods.

Staying overnight in Tamworth. I’m in the local pub and hey have Endeaver Pale Ale on tap. I’ve always found it to be a nice fruity easy drinking beer. Country pubs have changed!

Had a Balter IIPA this evening. Really, really good. Been saving it for a quiet night in, it’s a 500ml can at 8.6%. Settling in nicely to watch the scum derby.

Bought a BentSpoke Drifter Series Red IPA (Red Nut) over New Years and finally cracked it when I got home from work this morning. Wow!
I had a few of their beers not long after they started up and was a bit meh on them so haven’t gone back but this has changed my opinion. Malty, hoppy and with a honey finish, it goes down very well in this heat. At 7% I’m glad I only bought 1 though!

1 Like