The beer thread - New England Double IPA edition

I look out for it.

I’m currently drinking one of the weirder ones I’ve had lately. It’s a pavlova sour by Swedish brewery Brekeriet. They’ve brewed it with raspberries, passionfruit, strawberries, elderberries and vanilla. Surprisingly, it all works pretty well. The raspberry and passionfruit flavours dominate.

Not particularly beer-y but damn it’s an interesting experience.

1 Like

Spent the last two weeks in Tampa, some quality beers coming out of there. Brought back Hidden Springs Ale Works Riot Juice, also had their Tigers Blood, Captain Insano and Deja Moo, all quality.

1 Like

I’m signed up for the Modus Operandi Brew Club.

http://www.mobrewing.com.au/weeklywhatson/

We had our first session on Thursday night; it was a bit all over the place but you can tell that the guys running it are really keen to share their knowledge and help home brewers. Not a bad way of networking with others that various experience in brewing. I started my first ever batch a couple of weeks ago and will be bottling soon. It will most likely be shit, but I’ve gotta start somewhere.

1 Like

I’ve recently taken up home brewing as well with a mate. There’s a lot of good tips and information out there to help ensure you are getting the basics right and producing something that is actually drinkable (albeit usually a little bland).

Have you started out with a classic pale ale from an ingredients kit?

I did some brewing on and off, been meaning to get back into it. Dave’s HomeBrew is quite good for orders and they’re very knowledgeable, will suggest alternatives where required.

Yeah, I’m doing a Pale Ale to start with. Not expecting anything too amazing for this batch but it’s a starting point. For my next batch I’m going to use the same recipe but dry hop it as well to make it a lot hoppier. The kit and recipe I’m using is from Craftabrew: Stone Pale Ale Beer Recipe Kit | Craft a Brew

1 Like

Are you using molasses or actual grains?

If you produce something boring but drinkable then you’ve done well.

Good choice. I did pretty much the same thing using galaxy hops to get something similar to a Stone and Wood pacific ale. I haven’t used anything from craftabrew before though so let me know how it goes.

The kit has grains (you steep them as the first step) but also has malt powder.

I started all grain brewing in March last year after about 18 months of doing kits. It is a slippery slope though I am now running 7 taps at home, a 35L and 65L robobrew and 2 fermenting fridges.

I have been pretty successful I won a medal at the WA State Amateur Brewing Competition and then picked up 4th for the same beer at the Australian Amateur Brewing Competition.

The most important thing you can do for your brewing is temperature control.’

If you don’t have one get an old fridge and a cheap temp controller like an inkbird 308 or an STC 1000.

Then look at your yeast handling and pitch rate and finally water. A cheap caravan filter from Bunnings will remove the chlorine from your tap water and is a good start.

This is a quality forum for getting help or more info.

1 Like

I would avoid using molasses, instead try and stick to liquid or dry malt extract if you aren’t doing all grain.

Party at @Sponsor’s house.

1 Like

It’s just a quick 5 hour flight away.

1 Like

unless you recently got posted back to WA…

I assume they have you SOR, are you back in the Baldives?

yeah we are in proper Rockingham now.

10 minutes from the beach, 15 minutes from my driveway to my office.

@CountArach reminded me on the stadia thread - I went to Seventh Day in Brookvale last weekend. Really cool place with some nice beers. They do a really good New England IPA, and if you’re in the mood, they do a strong Hefe-Weizen as well (around 7%). Plus they have a pizza joint that does a really good traditional Italian wood-fired pizza.

That sounds interesting. How did that go down?

Typical for an Aussie Hefe is doesn’t quite nail the Munich style. It smells a lot like something you’d find in a Franziskaner or Weihenstephaner glass but it tastes quite different (which was a bit of a let down, considering it smelled so good). I did enjoy it though, quite sweet up front with a bitterness at the end. I wouldn’t go out of my way to find it, but I’d have it again if I was out somewhere and they had it on tap.