The Siem de Jong Thread

What does “grade 1” mean anyway? Sorry this is probably obvious to people who aren’t me

The least serious tear. I don’t know what the most serious is, grade 5? Maybe a grade 10 is your whole leg exploding.

Grade 1 is a muscle strain. Grade 2 is a partial tear. Grade 3 is a complete hamstring tear. According to the internet 1 is a few days to recover 2 and 3 can be weeks to months.

That said with his history Id probably give him at least a week off. Miss Adelaide and the City game.

The injury also makes me think hes probably a good option to sit out the ACL. I know its back to the future with leaving out marquee Holosko but first season on tough aussie pitches and an injury history makes sense.

Grade 1 from memory and a quick google is a few days up to 3 weeks.
Factor in his fragile body and we should be a decent chance of having him on the pitch some time in November.
We had similar issues with Brosque, and got it right by always leaving him off an extra week when it seemed he was good to go.

You have to be really careful with a Grade 1 though and given the loads the players undergo plus his medical history, he’s looking at 4+ weeks minimum. I wouldn’t be surprised if they hold him back 4-6 weeks. That’s best case scenario.

To put it in perspective, in my line of work I’ve treated a number of footballers for hamstring strains (Grade 1 most common) and it’s very rare that they’ll be 100% within 2-3 weeks. Not to mention the chance of re-injury and scarring increases if you’re loading it explosively like these guys are. The key is a slow, graded rehab program which aims to progressively build back into full fitness.

I think there is no point get excited. The grade one comment was based on nothing.

He is definitely out for 6-8 weeks. He won’t start a match until likely end of January

Simon Hill said 6-8 weeks on commentary last night.

It’s a shame. He it obvious that he is a classy player. Had it not been for his injuries, he would probably still be doing well for himself in decent European leagues. Let’s hope that when he regains fitness, he is able to rediscover his form and help us to some more trophies.

Out till Xmas.

That’s a really annoying amount of time because it is obviously long, particularly counting the time it will take for him to get fit, but it is too short to consider an injury replacement.

Our season has already been disrupted by injury. I still reckon Buhagiar was the biggest loss this season. If we can pick up hard fought wins till January it should get easier when De Jong comes back and maybe another attacker in the january transfer window

Very disappointing for Siem. Fortunate he’s got his family with him in Australia, which should help him.

Hoping we use our last foreign spot on an Asian winger but can’t see it happening. Perhaps we’ll do a 14/15 2.0 and sign two brilliant cousins?

I guess this injury will also keep him out of ACL. While he’ll be back and hopefully fully fit in time for the first team selection, this injury and our campaign last year will probably allow Jop to get the nod ahead of him.

Think that was a hat trick of assists today. Showing his class. Would still keep him out of acl but he’s finding his feet

I thought after that injury scare just before half time he came back super positive and did well, with the usual caveats about the undermanned and downbeat opposition.

Settling in nicely now, every touch is pure class. Be fantastic if we can keep him fit and for more than one season.

Some thread title suggestions:

• “Like a hot knife through mustard” - yes, I know De Jong is prounounced quite differently to Dijong, but I like this.
  • “He’ll rip you at the siems”
1 Like

Siems to be getting better every week.

Yep he is winning me over although I must admit my heart skips a beat everytime he gets a hard challenge

1 Like

De Jong and De Ajax.