The travelling circus: stadia discussion

Laughable comment. Plenty of examples of far worse than here
Berlin Airport
Edinburgh Light Rail (took 8yrs even after route cut and budget blowout way worse than ours)

While the Sydney Light Rail is pretty poor, the Metro and Newcastle Light Rail are pretty much on time and Parra Stadium hasn’t had major issues.

Newcastle doesn’t count.

We’re taking about a 30 year old stadium that was widely loathed, never really fit for purpose and unsafe. We also have a <20 year old national stadium that everyone knew was going to be a white elephant and unfit for rectangular codes immediately after those 2 weeks of athletics. The only thing that makes me feel better atm is that Populous were responsible for that one.

PT remains a debacle city-wide, the new George St railyard is only the tip of that iceberg. The Opal rollout was poor and something the NSW Govt rejected years before (an Aussie ended up selling it to HK after being turned down in Sydney).

We’ve got a brand new hospital on the Northern Beaches that’s an embarrassment. A brand new rail / Metro line being built with different gauges so it doesn’t integrate with the rest of the network. I’m in the Hills and won’t ever use it going via Chatswood, easier to hop an M2 bus or drive to Seven Hills station.

Then there’s every major arterial road or motorway requiring expansion within 20 years of opening because they never made the fucking things wide enough for future population growth & traffic to start with. But that suits Transurban down to the ground because every time they build a shit one they know they’re getting another contract to fix it in 15 years time.

They designed it - Mace is building it (and will be doing so forever it seems).

Betis have a new stand it looks awesome, now 60k capacity. New stand 3 tiers and very steep rake, looks awesome.

Why is the northern beaches hospital an embarrassment? Just curious. I’ve been there and it looks pretty impressive.

1 Like

Watching Wellington v Brisbane yesterday, as simple as the stadium design is, I’d happily take a rectangular version of the Cake Tin.

Sounds like operational deficiencies rather than a design and building issue.

Went to RB Leipzig v Werder Bremen yesterday for shits n giggles , stadium looks like Allianz/SFS from outside…but that’s where comparison ends. Nice rake, compact inside, lots of drink/eatery outlets. We get the simple so wrong here…

It sounds like a pretty common occurrence for such a large scale protect

1 Like

There’s still time to save Cove Heights!

2 Likes

Story here

Pitch looks like Spotless Stadium on game day.

4 Likes

A few more shots of the SFS Here
The Heights still standing!

The pitch looks almost as good as spotless.

1 Like

Thought maybe there’d just been a concert there and we were due to play on it in a few days…

Sad I never got my seat to keep.

I’m still not sold on Kogarah, mainly because its of travel time, however I must say the view is a lot better than the SFS. The rake is actually steep enough in the cove section so nobody stands on the seats to get a better view, so overall everyone can actually watch the game as well as sing.

Not quite the same from the main grandstand. The rake is relatively steep, but because it curves you end up a fair bit back from the pitch. From where I sit I also can’t see the corner flag.

Overall though, I quite like it. I like that it’s a smaller stadium, and 12k makes it feel pumping.

Travel time is worse, but the actual convenience of being able to park easily with a real short walk to the stadium probably makes it easier overall.

I do miss Allianz though.