The travelling circus: stadia discussion

It’s a cheap Uber from my house so I think its wonderful.

Obvious downfall of Kogarah is the lack of good pubs in the area.

2 Likes

Yeah, agree with that. I’ve pretty much given up with trying to have a few decent beers before/after the game around the stadium. I might have one or two beers at the stadium but ultimately I have to drive now anyway. If I didn’t drive it would take me about 2 hours by public transport. So the ritual has changed now to driving home after the game and cracking open a few good beers from the fridge while watching the parts of the game that I want to check out.

Beverley park golf club goes alright close by

1 Like

Whilst we seem to be doing much better with our choice of stadiums than the other mob did, there are some definite shortcomings with Jubilee.

One of my gripes is that most if not all the silver sideline seats are taken by members who (aside from the MV game) aren’t showing up, leaving what looks to be a few thousand seats clearly empty on the TV broadcast. A couple of times I’ve tried to take my elderly dad to the game and buy him a sideline seat (he’s too old for the hill) and there are no decent seats available to buy even though there are thousands clearly empty come gametime. Yes I know that this is a typical issue of a smaller ground and we were lucky to have so many seats easily available at the SFS, but it is frustrating nonetheless.

Some serious questions should have also been raised when the stadium was last being upgraded and is probably a typical example of mismanagement of public money by local Govts, like:

Why did they retain a half-assed oval shape when no oval sports are played there? The shape of the ground is too narrow for cricket or AFL, too small for an athletics track, and not properly rectangular for rugby league or football, which also screwed over the venue’s traditional major tenant the Dragons.

Surely the raked open seating at the Cove end should have been built straight across the touch line behind the goal rather the the weird-ass bowl they actually built.

The shape of the grandstand is also questionable since there seem to be so many seats with obstructed pitch views. It’s simply absurd that such a poor design even made it past the blueprint stage.

2 Likes

It’s frustrating that, because the club has made a good effort to minimise that by introducing the seat sell-on system where members can release their seat on the Thursday and if someone purchasing it, they get a credit to apply towards the next season’s membership.

I was literally saying this to my mates on Friday night. They should have just converted it to a rectangle when it was last upgraded. I have an obstructed view from where I sit (can’t see the corner flag).

1 Like

Yeah, the oval shape is absolutely ridiculous. But overall, I don’t think we can complain about Kogarah or Leichardt which can be absolutely pumping even with 12k in (in fact, the other games sounded better than the Victory sell-out game).

I think the club’s done a great job of making Kogarah feel like a ‘home’.

1 Like

Completely agree. I’ve been really impressed with just how much they’ve done with flags, banners, signage etc. It really feels like a home ground.

2 Likes

Agree also. But they do need to check tickets on the way into the Cove end, still too many GA day trippers taking up my real estate.

1 Like

We’ve raised this with the club.

2 Likes

On the way home from work today I noticed that the club is advertising individual games using posters on telegraph poles ala pub bands - excellent idea.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed a lot on the way to the stadium in recent weeks. Such a great idea.

I’ve noticed this on the drive down to Kogarah each time - they’ve had the next game on the poles in the surrounding areas (i.e. the Adelaide game advertised last week).
They’ve been dealt a shit hand with the SFS redevelopment, but I think the club have handled the transition as well as can be expected. Very impressed.

3 Likes

See these on the way into and home from work. Love it! My town, my team!

1 Like

Have been doing it since the start of the season in the local area.

Could be worse if Labor gets in though.
Any change to the current plan will likely result in substantial time delays, and I suspect result in a worse outcome that doesn’t save much

It’s almost too late for the ALP to change their mind though right? Otherwise what happens? Moore Park sits as a construction site unless private enterprise steps in to build it? Can’t see it happening.

Only thing I can think of is that they try and reduce the cost some how. The only positive outcome from that scenario would be if they were able to do it by reducing it from a 45k stadium to say a 32k stadium.

1 Like

Caveat being that often lower capacity doesn’t equal less cost.

Labor has promised to do exactly that, but I don’t believe it either.

In any case, it’s not going to matter. The public will choose the party that destroyed Sydney in order to sell it to their developer mates and fucks up every infrastructure project it touches over the party that used to be led by a sex offender but now is only led by a man who was once drunk in Parliament.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not sure. I think with all of the stuff that has happened under a liberal government that labour may be in with a chance. Also, at a federal level, liberal aren’t looking good, and a lot of voters just vote the same party at state and local levels that they intend to vote for at a federal level.