The travelling circus: stadia discussion

Fuck it, I’m happy to be displaced for 5 years if it means that a smaller, more appropriate sized stadium is built instead of another 45k monstrosity. I hate sitting in a massive stadium with 12k fans dotted around the place. Kogarah and Leichhardt have been much better in that regard this season. They’re biggest problem is that they’re so open that any noise created by the cove/crowd get’s lost.

3 Likes

Scrolled back and found where i was mentioning it

I even replied to you. Clearly my memory is poor these days, either that or I chose to ignore/not believe it.

It is so demoralising following all this. A once in a generation moment for the club being completely screwed by a bunch of people who have literally zero concern for the actual users of this stadium. Then you see the video of what they have out west.

Does anyone know whether the club has a plan B at all? Is there any option that does not leave us tied to the SCGT? Is it too late to explore a ground share of Parra?

1 Like

Well that sucks. I’m also inclined to cop an extra season or to of redesign to get a smaller stadium.

One thing that still confuses me, club still thinks it’s two modes as of last week:

Another thing that puzzles me - if removing the two most high-profile indulgent features (media halo, LED curtain) saves only 6% of the build cost - then where the hell is the money going to justify double the cost of the Parramatta build?

Solid gold T-Mac statue.

Welcome to NSW.

Kick backs to their developer mates and SCG Board.

2 Likes

So…2/3/4/5 more seasons “on the road”!

Considering FC encompasses greater Sydney and the Gong(until Wolves get back in)…I’d like to see some games taken to(depending on opponent)
Penriffff,sure to draw some fans out there that are sick of losing!
W’Gong,at least one game for the people who have devoutly travelled to SFS since inception.
Campelltown,8K for Welly was OK.
Shark Park,plenty of Shireites that wont go to Jubilee because it brings back memories of the Mightys smackin their baby bros!

SCG only for Tards and NorWesters!

We have a 10 year contract with SCG trust for SFS, we’re in the 3rd year of that contract.

Edit: 2nd year actually, May 2017 was when it was signed.

I think the generally consensus was that supporters wanted games localized to the same stadiums, rather than spread out throughout the greater Sydney area. Can’t see anything against playing friendlies in Penrith but I’d avoid Woolongong. Ultimately, how many supporters would be travelling from there? At the extreme i’d say 100? Sydney FC isn’t a Wollongong club, we should be focusing resources on Sydney

1 Like

Inflation.
Harder demolition and more difficult space constrained site.
An extra stand - Parra is really only a 3-sided venue, the final side is effectively a building for the boxes and media, with a small lower tier.

But mostly I suspect
A real stadium - Parra is literally stands with metal supports and roof, then a few boxes under the stand for facilities. The proposed SFS design seems more like the current ANZ or latest SCG stand with integrated multi-level concourses behind the stand.

More relevant comparisons -
Original Stadium Australia cost $690m in 1999, at least double today.
Perth Stadium opened 2018 cost $1.2bn for a 60k seater, plus another $300m for new station and transport facilities.
The Bradman Noble stand at the SCG opened 2014 cost $197m for 15k seats plus the scoreboard.

Now whether you really need that style of stadium is another matter, but cost appears more reasonable against those examples.

OK, was just a suggestion.However wasnt there a FFA cup game there(gong) that drew OK numbers?
I’d like to see a RIFF game, just to show up the NorWesterlys…Spot(the)Dog was a disaster for them and to rub some salt,THEY voted for it!

It drew about 8k, but it did have the benefit of actually being played against Wollongong Wolves.

From memory we did play a league game there a few years ago. Against Newcastle maybe?

1 Like

Janko’s volleyed wonder-goal wrongly disallowed!

2 Likes

What a strike

If they pull their fingers out, they can have my seat back in the heights ready to go for next season.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I think the “two mode” concept is something we should not be happy about.

If there is a curtain that locks off the top tier of a two tier stadium when there is a typical 10 to 15k crowd then that means that for most of our games we will be limited to a lower tier with a rubbish rake.