The travelling circus: stadia discussion

Nothing in this that hasn’t been known for 48 hours or so. No, the crucial part is the film clip which shows The Heights still standing tall. I miss the old girl…

Didn’t learn from the SFS there. It had a similar open back when it opened in 1988, and subsequently had the additional weatherproofing added.

Meanwhile, the SCG surface is going great.

Cause yeah, you wouldn’t maybe let that surface go to shit to prove a point?

#noconspiracy

Green-keeper obviously flat tack looking after SCG AND Jubilee…

1 Like

New turf going down pronto

With a crowd of only 15k I wonder if the Tags can use the other alignment that’s closer to the new stands

Is it big enough to play Waratahs and Sydney at the same time?

2 Likes

There’s an NRL game there two days before our game against MV. Should be fine.

1 Like

Play a Sydney FC, Waratahs and Roosters game for a world-first triple header.

Use the pitch as a reason to move the MV game to Leichhardt. Would be one of our best atmospheres ever.

1 Like

Guaranteed crowd of 18k

1 Like

At least league doesn’t do scrums.

Just wondering,on the chance that FC qualify for next years Champions L,would there be any restriction to take the group games to the New Cumberland Oval?
There are 2 tenants there but I cant see how either could veto the group games and any that follow?

Just in regards to the two mode set up. The LED curtain has indeed been dropped, but Danny has said that it will still operate in two modes. I assume that just means that the upper tier will be closed during regular games, with the bottom 2 tiers serving Sydney FC fans/members plus SCG trust members (which I believe will be located in the second tier. The empty seats will be shit, but I guess this at least means that the crowd will be more compact in the bottom tiers. At Allianz, they could never close the top tier because SCG trust members had seats there.

Still, a fabric curtain, rather than a fancy LED curtain would still be a great feature. Even if it was just a big Allianz logo. Of course everyone knows there’s empty seats behind the curtain, but it would look much better and make it feel more intimate.

Thanks for the update. It’s gonna be shit. $730 million of shit.

* OK not quite ANZ levels of shit, but still not what we need

1 Like

So basically what we already had, just with the SCG members closer to the game. This still looks terrible when City do it at AAMI and doesn’t help at Suncorp either. Now admittedly we draw larger crowds and make more noise than those two, but it just isn’t fixing a problem.

Apologies if it has been posted elsewhere (I think it has…maybe it was on twitter) but that new Daegu stadium is an absolute peach, though on the small side (12k). And relevantly, it replaces a white elephant left over from the 2002 WC which is totally unsuited to their needs.

How gorgeous is this? You just wanna eat it up:

Edit: That cost roughly 65 million AUD. Less than One tenth of the SCGT’s proposed gleaming turd.
For perspective, that fucking walkway we all deride cost more than half that :grimacing:

2 Likes

In the back of the UEFA Guide to Quality Stadiums there are a number of examples of recent stadiums. On page 140 they show Wolfsburg’s 30,000 seat stadium which was built for 53 million Euros in 2003 and would be a perfect replacement for the SFS.

UEFA Stadium Guide

I posted that figure of 53,000,000 into an RBA website and found that, adjusted for inflation, that 2003 number translates into 76,059,531 in 2018. I then put that figure into the RBA exchange rate website and found that that number translates into $121,130,530 Australian Dollars.

4 Likes

With the remaining $600 million, we could be a hospital underneath it. Everyone’s happy.

2 Likes

Can any IT savvy person spam all the Labor and Libs candidates with this? Even allowing for pork barrelling to Unions and Local Govt, higher Wages in Australia and general lack of engineering expertise (compared to Germany), even at double the price (round it off to AUD$250m) it would be worth doing.