The travelling circus: stadia discussion

Small piece on 7News tonight on the demolition.
At least 1/4 of the roof is gone so at least that has to get replaced if Labor forms government.

That said betting odds are now paying $1.35 for the LNP

You would think that there would be a significant insurance policy required in case of damage to the Members & Ladies stands at the SCG. I doubt the same applied to the Parramatta pool.
As the SFS, unlike WSS, is in a residential area, the environmental restrictions & protections would be stricter thus eliciting a higher cost. It also results in greater restrictions around the hours that work can be undertaken, material removed from or delivered to the site and the closing of roads related to such. All of this, even if the project was otherwise identical to WSS, costs significantly more than it did in Parramatta.

No exact cost for the other design. A ballpark figure would have been provided with the tendered design but a more exact figure would have only been determined if they won, settled on the all aspects of the design (including bells and whistles like when buying a car) and had the builders and constructors then cost the outcome.

So Antony Green has called the election, and it looks like we’re getting this new 45K seater after all.

Steeper rake, roof with 100% coverage for spectators, better facilities. What’s not to like?

Yeah sure in an ideal world we would have a 25K seater with ultra-steep rake and no try zone for rugby so the Cove could stick the opposition keeper with the tifo flags. But let’s face it, we play near the CBD of Sydney and this was never going to happen.

I’m certainly looking forward to our new stadium.

4 Likes

Excellent result for us as a club

4 Likes

Give me a hybrid synthetic pitch that doesnt get chopped to shit after a rugby game and i’ll be happy.

For some reason I just cannot be convinced that the roof will cover 100% of the spectators. Certainly not sufficiently enough to stop everyone getting wet, which is kinda the point. I know it’s been said, and I know it’s what’s been promised. But with the history of stadium architecture in this country I just won’t believe it till I see it.

But fuck I hope I see it.

1 Like

It needs to be a dome to truly cover 100% of spectators. When it rains, any sort of wind will see people sitting near the front get wet. But a roof that covers everyone at least in a vertical sense is a massive improvement. Steeper rake also a huge improvement.

Will they name the stands directly behind the goal Bay 23? I really hope our club lobbys for this to happen, as a nod to the only active support group out of the 3 teams that will play their home games there.

1 Like

If they don’t put Cove Heights in they’re racist, discriminatory cunts.

3 Likes

Time to move on to important stuff then, like chimes before stadium announcements, à la san siro.

3 Likes

The middle bay behind the goals at the Paddington End will still be Bay 23

5 Likes

The Cove and Cove Heights was looking a little worse for wear today… (from SSC forum)

1 Like

I’m sure you can buff that out. It looked worse after the Wanderers hosted the Grand Final there

4 Likes

I demand a corporate box in compensation for the loss of Cove Heights.

3 Likes

Sad to see the old heights gone, but they must have been satisfying to knock down.

The pitch has looked worse

5 Likes

And announcements should first be a woman speaking in French followed by a man speaking in English as per the olympics

1 Like

With trendy street food and obscure craft beer!

2 Likes

And you know those guitars that are like, double guitars…

1 Like

I just assumed there had been a coldplay concert over the weekend

2 Likes