The travelling circus: stadia discussion

Parramatta will clearly be the best option from next season. It’s clearly the best stadium, and for every person whinging about going ‘all the way to Parramatta’ (27 minutes on the train from Central versus 21 to Carlton) there’ll be another rejoicing at how much easier it is than Leichhardt or Kogarah. Plus you have actual options for pubs and restaurants.

For a forum that claims to support a team for ‘all of Sydney’ there’s an awful lot of people for whom the word Parramatta is enough to dismiss it entirely as an option.

3 Likes

No argument as to the quality of the stadium.
You may well be right about the entertainment options in Parramatta.
It takes me 40 minutes to get to Sutherland and it’s a further 90 minutes - best case -to Parramatta from there…
Nothing at all to do with the name of the place… if we’re playing in Parramatta, I’ll be watching on the telly.

1 Like

I’m positive it wouldn’t happen but Parra is by far the easiest stadium for me to get to & for a lot of Sydney on the Northern side of the bridge even Gosford is easier to get to than Kogarah. They played a handful of games there pre-scum

1 Like

In the last members forum the question about Parramatta stadium as an option was asked. The response was that it wouldn’t be ruled out, and that they had focused on the solution for the first year only at this stage, but will seek feedback and look at options for the subsequent years after this season if necessary.

I live in the Northern Beaches, and to be honest, nowhere is ideal for me. As it turns out though, Parramatta is 10 mins closer to me than Kogarah. I’ve been to both games at Kogarah this season and while I’ve got a seat in the stand and I think the pitch itself is amazing, I’m not overly convinced. I’d be in favour of Parramatta as an option, even if only a few games are played there (like Leichardt this season).

Also agree with @DrunkFly, we are for all of Sydney. We have plenty of fans in the west, so we shouldn’t dismiss playing at Parramatta just because it’s in Western Sydney. Hell, it’s East-Western Sydney at that.

1 Like

I’m currently living in Western Sydney, not far from Parra at all, and I’m not keen on us playing out of that area. If you think it’s easier to park etc, then you haven’t been there lately. Parra and surrounding suburbs are at risk of being completely choked by the population growth. Stadium being built is mint, no argument…and lots of western Sydney and South western Sydney are decent places so I’ve got nothing particularly against the west…but specifically regarding where I am, I’m finally getting back out of this s*ithole area soon to move back closer to city so 2 maybe 3 away trips a season will be enough for me…

No. But it lacked many things that Hillsborough Reviews recommended against.

• Non flammable seats… Nope
  • Fire sprinklers… Nope
  • Wide corridors for circulation… Nope
  • Separate paths for back-office/ emergency personnel… Nope

Plus the issues with accessibility (all the stairs) lack of disabled seating, female facilities, beer queues, corporate boxes in the corners.

I’ve got no doubt that the SCGT has played up some of the issues to take advantage of the $s on offer but in no way is the current SFS a modern stadium.

I don’t live anywhere near Kogarah or Leichardht, but I’m content going to both for the next couple of seasons if it means we get a new home at Moore Park.

Not a fan of playing at Parramatta at all.

Masters has been reading the forum…

1 Like

Quite a decent article, and full of.home truths.

If you thought the video screen at Kogarah was a bit small, this is some good news…

That’d be a massive improvement to the experience of the ground. Great news.

Yeah, absolutely. It’s barely worth watching replays at Kogarah on the current screen.

Vince Rugari (Twitter):
Hearing the Stadium Taskforce in Queensland has recommended against the construction of a boutique stadium in Brisbane. Apparently Suncorp has capacity for more events/matches so there is no current or foreseeable need in their eyes.

Full Report: http://www.hpw.qld.gov.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/StadiumTaskforceReport.pdf

What a disappointment, a redeveloped Perry Park could’ve been a gamechanger for football in Brisbane.

1 Like

or they could just improve access to Ballymore by building a pedestrian bridge over Breakfast Creek which would create easy access to Wilston railway station and buses on Newmarket Road.

I have only briefly skimmed the report but some standouts were;

• Suncorp Stadium has capacity for one more anchor tenant and more one-off events

• There is no need for any additional boutique stadiums in Brisbane and all rectangular football codes should use Suncorp. Ballymore should only be used as a training facility and the grandstand should be demolished.

• The playing surface of Suncorp Stadium is considered excellent including for the summer football season.

How could a report get so many things completely wrong?

They must have paid a motza for something so shit…

Not sure where else to put this, but it fits the thread title.

Our ‘away’ match vs Wellington in February is going to be played at Campbelltown Stadium:

2 Likes

Nix getting in early to be replaced by Macarthur then.

1 Like

Sucks for the Nux fans, but I’m up for attending another game in a boutique Sydney ground.